Author Topic: Connecting the rear defogger grid  (Read 2409 times)

Offline fb_rider

Connecting the rear defogger grid
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
Now that I have my defogger switch/relay circuit working properly, I need to hook the rear window grid back up.  On both sides of my grid the braided wire is missing, but the grid itself looks pretty good.  How does the braid get attached to the grid?  I got some stuff from Advance Auto that you mix up like epoxy that is apparently used to attached "tabs" to the grid, but I wasn't sure if it could be used for the braid.  Or can it be soldered?
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Connecting the rear defogger grid
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
You're screwed.  You're the victum of a lazy person that would rather cut the wires rather than unconnect them.  You can solder another wire to the window....but I would remove it and smash the heck out of it and throw it in the dumpster. ;D

Check out the body manual.  I think it has a procedure for resoldering those connectors.  There is a connector on the 12 volt in side (drivers side) that has one end soldered to the window and the other end has a connector that mates to the connector on the purple wire.  On the ground side (passenger side) there is a short braided wire that has one side soldered to the window, and the other side has a connector, that connector mates with a short wire that has the mating connector on one end, and an eyelet on the other.  The eyelet gets a fastener through it attaching it to the body.

All of those wires are hidden, so you do your own thing and no one will notice....but you'll know....and you'll never forget ;D

Offline fb_rider

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
I forgot to mention that I got new braided wires from a junkyard, so I have the wires, I just need to attach them.  They came out of a Grand Prix with a busted rear window, but they are very close to the same length as the originals were (or at least appear to have been).  I just need to know if they can be soldered, or should I use that stuff I got from Advance?
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »
id go with soldering them on...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Check the body manual it says:

Repair of bus bar braided lead wire may be accomplished by resoldering with 3 per cent silver solder and rosin flux paste in the following manner:
1.  Lightly buff the bus bar in the area to be repaired with fine steel wool to remove oxide coating formed during glass firing.
2.  Brush a small amount of flux paste on bus bar.
3.  Coat the tip of a small soldering iron with 3 per cent silver solder and draw across the bus bar depositing a thin coating of solder.
NOTE:  Only enough heat to melt solder (to start flowing) is recommended.  Contact bus bar for as short a time as possible.
4.  Repeat the process for the braided lead.
5.  Position the braided lead on the bus bar and apply heat to complete soldering operation.

Offline bad76

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »
I would go with the epoxy to reattatch the wires, only because if you do not have alot of experience with soldering it is very easy to heat the glass to much and crack it. 

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »
You might try and attatch them using some of the glue you can buy to install your rear view mirror to the windshield.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."