Author Topic: 78TA NO START_ ELECTRICAL  (Read 2686 times)

Offline zachh

78TA NO START_ ELECTRICAL
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
Ok, this morning I went out to my car, turned the key, the starter turned the engine over about once, then it died.  Everything went out, nothing was on or moved.  I got home from work and school and looked into it.  My alternator is ok, my battery needs to be charged about a volt, but its ok.  I cant find any shorts, although I will look everyhting over again Sunday.  I checked the starter, Im going to test its solinoid tamarro at work.  Im out of guesses, I figure whenever I get a chance, to check for draws.  I did buy a new ignition switch(electronic one).  Im hoping someone here can help me out.  Its started right up on the first try with no problems till taday.  Any advice would be great!
THANX
zachh

Offline zachh

Re: 78TA NO START_ ELECTRICAL
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
I also checked the distributer wires and coil wire( to the distributor) and everything there seemed OK.
zachh

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:56:34 PM »
I'm assuming that you tightened up the (+) and (-) connections to the battery...the battery "low" thing might suggest that there was a high resistance someplace between the batt and the alternator.  If there's a connection that's even a bit loose corrosion can form, giving exactly the symptoms you describe.

Offline Clint s

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »
Do you mean everything went out all power to lights and all? Check the grounds,  Are they all there and if so are they in good condition.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »
starter solenoid ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline zachh

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:35:18 PM »
Starter was tested, its good, all grounds are good.  Im going to replace the ignition switch.  Where is it?  All my connections are good.... I hope its the ignition switch, or im out of ideas!
zachh

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
ignition switch is towards the bottom of the steering column...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 2002 Bigride

• First Car I Ever Bought
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »
You may have a cell short in the battery and when you put it under load it kills itself.  Had a brand new delco freedom battery do that to me once.  If your batter is only putting out 1 volt I would lean to that issue and if you are still lossing voltage in the battery over time, then you have short somewhere.
Mike "The Animal" Averett

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »
When you check your connections at the battery, make sure you check more than just how tight they are. Check for bad corrosion. It's also possible it's a bad cable to clamp connection. Do you have cables with the clamps (or side post connoecors) pre-made onto them? Or separate connectors attached to the cable ends? I've also seen one battery that had a bad connection to it's own post (internally).
Larry