Author Topic: 1979 Black Hobnail Seat restoration  (Read 5863 times)

Offline mrpontiac80

1979 Black Hobnail Seat restoration
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:22:39 AM »
Hi guys.  I thought you may like to follow along with this.

As you all know, Jason D does some fantastic work on his customer's TA's.  Heck a lot of them are from right here!  Needless to say, the jobs turn out very nicely and I am pleased and proud to be a part of his latest job for one of his customers.  Jason sub contracted the seats out for me to do in NOS black hobnail and lombardy.  The owner of the car wants perfection so hopefully we can pull off a sweet job in the end.   

Follow along as I go and you guys can see what goes into making a set of seat covers for the 1979 Trans Am.  I will be doing all of the sewing and etc in house.  NOS material is still on the way, but here is the start of the project.   I am more or less just going to document the job with pictures as I go and not talk so much about how to do it.  IF you would like to read about how to install your own seat covers, go to my previous post here...  http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1441

Jason allready took apart all the seats so that he could work his magic on the seat frames and get them looking new.   Some of the small cracks were welded up although I found another that will need attention before we get too far into the project.  See what the frames looked like as I opened up the boxes!

Remember all the talks in the past about tilted and leaning seats?  Well Hitman has a tech tip for replacing a bushing that may solve the problem, http://www.78ta.com/resto/seatfix.htm   But all too often, a lot of these cars have cracks in the seat frames from flexing.  Leaning on hte headrests and etc.   These cracks if left untreated can get bigger and allow the frame to give and flex more.  Here are some problem areas that have been fixed and one that still needs attention.

Often,  the seat covers are replaced but nothing else.    I like to use new foam if the damage is too bad but most people do not want to pay for them.  Also the new foam buns are not shrunk to fit the seat covers yet, so they make installing them very tight and difficult for some poeple to get nice results on.  We are going to use new foam buns on this job and here is why. 

The bottom front buns are sitting on a springset made of thin wire.  Imagine a weight of an average adult sitting on this every day.  It is kinda like a knife slicing through butter.  The tears can be fixed with glue and reinforcement, but we are going new.    Also you will see that the springs that give the seat foam it's shape are made and then the foam is injected around the seat springs.   Over the years, these springs bend and often break.  Especially in the lower leanback side bolsters.   If the broken springs are not cut out, they will eventually poke holes in the seat cover or etc.   But if you cut them out, you are left with a foam bun that has no support.

OK,,  now the part that is the reson for the job.    The Hobnail fabric is only a two year option in these cars and it is getting very hard to find NOS.  It is not made anymore and has not been for a long time now.   There are reproductions out there now, but they are not correct by any means for a solid resto job.   Here are some differances..  http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1070&highlight=nos++repo+hobnail 

The seat covers here on this car were in remarkable good shape. There is some wear on the drivers seat cover and also a lot of fading.  But otherwise, they look good.  We just want better!

And of course the machine that will get this job done,,  It is a very old Pfaff 145 built in Germany.   It is kinda like the Mercedes vs a pinto in sewing machine terms.   Very strong and reliable.   I think this one dates back to at least the 60s.   

Well, thats all I have for now,    Hopefully all parts will arive soon and I will be able to document this project regularly.  But for right now, it will be at least a couple of weeks at the earliest.   We are going to use NOS black Hobnail and crushed Lombardy.  Also new seat foam buns.  Check back and see these come to new life!

Michael Russell

Offline Ta2dbandit

• http://www.ta2dbandit.com (not in use yet)
Re: 1979 Black Hobnail Seat restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:26:18 AM »
I, for one am glad to see a tutorial in progress. Great detail on the pics so far. Keep it up! I am sure that all here is interested in  seeing this all the way through!

Sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the BUG!

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »
That metal for the seats look brand new!
I always see tons of surface rust on them.
Thanks for posting about this, it looks and is, very informative.
I will be watching!

George  8)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »
ditto that im anxious to watch this one...what are you planning to do with the old covers ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Prettybird81

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 09:49:38 AM »
Great thread Michael!  Lookin forward to seeing how these come out!  Those seat frames looked great right out of the box... hahahahahhahaha... amazing to me that they can ever get back to lookin that good!

Can't wait to see in process pix of you patterning seatcovers & putting them together... did i miss it somewhere... do you plan to use any of the original covers or are you going all new materials?

Jeri
Jeri

"Prettybird" ~ 81 T/A 301T/Auto, 23K.... oh... wait... make that 26K... nope... 27K Orig Miles (survivor)

"Arlington Cemetery has no section for Republicans, Democrats or Independents so get over yourself & suck it up"

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:36:28 AM »
Glad to see intrest in this.   I will be sending the old covers back to Jason D.    I asked him to send them so can use them as patterns.   

Michael Russell

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:48:46 PM »
Cool thread, Mike!  I think it's great that you're letting us peek over your shoulder on this -- thanks for posting it.  You do some amazing work! ;)

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Something you dont see all the time, its very informative thanks.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline BACnBLK

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
Interesting post, and  Thank-You for posting,  L@@k's  GREAT
bacNblk

Offline LTD

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
Way to go!  Looking good!  Keep the birds alive!

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 03:47:56 PM »
This is pretty cool, even thoughI would never attempt it myself ;)  Thanks.

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:26:22 AM »
Glad to see some interest in it.  Unfortunatly, I am still waiting on things to arrive that are out of my controll, but as soon as I can, I will update progress.

Michael Russell

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:56:23 AM »
Very informative post!  On the cracks, would it be a good idea to also weld a small plate over the area for added strength?

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
Very informative post!  On the cracks, would it be a good idea to also weld a small plate over the area for added strength?

Really I think the welds would be enough, but hey, a little extra insurance ain't gonna hurt!

Michael Russell

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:50:36 PM »

Added strength?? What exactly do you plan on doing to those seats?  :o ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette