Author Topic: Wiring help!! (elec window relay system)  (Read 915 times)

Offline littlenoz

Wiring help!! (elec window relay system)
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
I re-wired my electric windows with the 4 relay system. I installed the radio and cb. Before I put the doors back on everything worked great. when I put the doors back on and hooked up the power window harnesses everything went south!!!! when you turn the key on the radio comes on when it is suppose to be off, The headlights don't work, When you push the horn button the left blinker comes on and the bright light indicator dash light. Before I dig back into the electrical is there any suggestions?  I'm thinking it could be ground issue!  (I have a 78 T/A)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Wiring help!! (elec window relay system)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »
When you say "put the doors back on" are you referring to the actual doors on the car or the door panels?

In either case, I'd check for any pinched wires and then double/triple check the grounds you made. Then I'd start tracing the wiring you added to see if something got connected that shouldn't have.

What's the wiring to your relays look like? Got a pic? When I did mine, I shrunk wrapped all the connections to avoid anything hitting/grounding.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: Wiring help!! (elec window relay system)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Before I put the doors back on everything worked great.

"Everything" meaning the power windows worked great when wired to the car but the doors not mounted on the car? Or everything else inside the car worked great before you connected the power window harnesses and put the doors back on?

What happens when you unplug the door harnesses?

Just reverse the steps you took leading up to the point at which things "went south". Undo (unplug or uninstall) things one at a time in the reverse order that you did them until things are normal again.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:40:11 AM by 78ta »
Randy