Author Topic: removing center cap emblems  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Ashtray77

removing center cap emblems
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
Hey everyone, it's been a couple years since I've been on the site, good to be back.  Got a wheel question...  Has anyone successfully removed the bird emblems from the steel center caps without damage?  Mine are old and faded, and it's going to be much cheaper to just buy the emblems and re-use the steel center caps.  Any advice?  Thanks!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: removing center cap emblems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
It's just sealant type goo, you won't damage the cap but sometimes the back of the emblems lift off. If they are junk anyway then just prise them off and polish up. Be careful what you use to reattach the new emblems that it doesn't attack them.

Offline Ashtray77

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
OK, I was worried I would dent or scratch the cap while I was prying the emblem off.  Was planning on using something like 3M emblem adhesive...  thoughts? Thanks!

Offline kev 190164

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »
I would use an air drier to heat them first it will make it easier to remove

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
OK, I was worried I would dent or scratch the cap while I was prying the emblem off.  Was planning on using something like 3M emblem adhesive...  thoughts? Thanks!
You can use clear silicone adhesive. Works great and does not require a lot to attach them.

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
epoxy works good to keep em on as well.  scrape off the old goo once old cap is removed.  you can pound out any dents with a hammer and i usually use a ratchet extension to smooth out any dents.  you can clean them up good with steel wool and soapy water.  i do this all the time at our shop and they come out looking new. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline Ashtray77

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
Got the emblems off last night...  wished I would have read about the hair dryer trick beforehand, they were a bugger to get off, lol.  I do have a few dents. how exactly do you use the ratchet extension and a hammer to get rid of them?  I'm assuming you'd put the ratchet extension on the inside of the dent and hammer on the outside?  Thanks for all the tips! -Aaron

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
Try not to scuff or mark the outside at all, roll them on a cloth and tap the dents out from the inside.

Offline Ashtray77

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »
Got the emblems installed, they look great!  Thanks for the help!