Author Topic: Shaker Paint Color Question  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Transatrom

Shaker Paint Color Question
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
Recently purchased an original shaker as mine was cut.  It's starlight black and I'm going to repaint it to color match my black 78.  What I don't know is the correct color for the side facing the windshield as my original is cut.  Pictures I've seen, seem to show the original color was silver but would like more brevity if anyone has that info.

The following link shows what I'm asking about;

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-vehicles/1311-1977-pontiac-trans-am-factory-fresh-part-3/

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Shaker Paint Color Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
If it's already cut then hard to paint what's not there?!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:25:41 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline mikekop

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 01:27:16 AM »
According to most trustworthy (people who have worked at the factory or first owners) information, the side facing the windshield was body color or black. Apparently the paint was very thin on the horizontal "fins" or what to call them, so the paint wore off to reveal primer or bare glassfiber. Many misinterpreted this as the side was painted in another color, and masked it off when their cars was repainted.

Another thing supporting this is that apparently nothing was masked off at the factory when they painted the cars, since you could find overspray everywhere. They simply didn't take the time to mask.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:15:03 AM by mikekop »
I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:39:12 AM »
Mikekop,

Appreciate the in depth response.  I was confused as the link I provided is from a pristine 1977 and it shows the panel facing the windshield as silver and its supposed to be original; with your explanation I can understand how the black could have come off revealing the original fiber/primer perhaps.

I recall in my early years having ridden in a black TA and remember the center panel as a different color as well which added to my confusion.

Thanks for the response.  I'll likely paint it the same color then given this information.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:27:42 AM »
That's correct. Somehow I missed that you had a second, uncut shaker. That makes more sense!