Author Topic: Mysteries trying to determine TransAm specs via VIN, Cowl plate, & eyeballs  (Read 762 times)

Offline Virg54

I am trying to sort out the details on a 1981 TransAm that has been stored for the last 27 years, with regular trip outdoors on dry streets and no rain...  It is not my car.  I am just trying to help determine all the details for it's sale..., but, there are some mysteries...  More on that later...  The VIN is 1G2AW87H7BL138086.  Which I decipher as, demending on what website you use...

1 = USA
G = General Motors
2 = Ponitac
A = manual seat belts
W = TransAm, '75-'81
87 = two door Sport Coupe...I have also seen this referred to as "Plainback" and "Hardtop"...the top is two pieces of removable plastic (?) that "touch" on the middle...
H = 5.0 liter, Chevy 305 cid, 145 hp, V-8 small block...I have seen this as having a four bbl electronic carb system
7 = check digit
B = 1981
L = Van Nuys, CA
138086 - sequence number

Any additional thoughts woulld be appreciated...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:37:38 PM by Virg54 »

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Well, you are right on the VIN number if that helps any. As far as your other comments regarding the plastic tops that touch in the middle, those are probably aftermarket t-tops on the car and not original. Posting up photos of the car would also help determine this.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am