Author Topic: 15x7 Snowflake Rim Variation  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
15x7 Snowflake Rim Variation
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »
 I think I seen a post but cant locate it... Was there 2 variations in the 15x7 Snowflake rim? Don't have a current photo of the ones I currently have but they are much differant than others I am seeing... Also the Rim Manufacturer is Western. Is this actually a aftermarket replacememnt back in the day, a second design change?

Area in question is circled in red... the ones i have have a opening in that location unlike the ones I see that are solid.

Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Helter80

Re: 15x7 Snowflake Rim Variation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
Virgil, i think the snowflake wheels are kinda a mystery. i have the original snowflakes that came on my car from the factory, and they are Western Wheel, but i also have 2 spare snowflakes in my basement that are Kelsey Hayes brand. (all are 15X7) the Kelsey Hayes brand is slightly different looking if you really sit there and examine them. the "spokes" are slightly thinner than the Western Wheel, and the machined edges do not shine as easily as the Western Wheel.
My Western Wheel set were dark blue when I first bought my car, similar to the color of my T/A. I have read that they only came in Argent gray, and gold.
But when I tried to strip the blue paint off when I refinished my wheels, it was a nightmare trying to strip off the blue paint. Back when I refinished my wheels, I thought it might have been a rare option of some sort to have the wheels painted the color of the car because the dark blue paint was so difficult to remove. But every bit of research I have done on them, it all shows Argent gray, or gold.
If you want, I will take some pics of the Western Wheel, and the Kelsey Hayes tomorrow so you can see the difference.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:56:05 PM by Helter80 »
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline dfred

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:03:06 AM »