Author Topic: Question for Hitman  (Read 4588 times)

Offline NY78TA

Question for Hitman
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:53:34 PM »
I replaced the front coils on my 78 TA 76,00 miles  ( moog 5006) moog upper control arm bushings , lower control arm bushings, new monroe gas shocks.
 The passenger front tire to top of wheel well was an inch higher then the drivers side so shop recommended changing springs as they were  original and could be the reason for the difference.
Now after repairs, passenger front wheel height is  still an inch higher then the drivers side.  :-\ Front end shop says they see nothing wrong with front end. The car steers very well & straight  but not tight side to side. Now its recommeded to change steering box.
If you start car without touching steering wheel , the steering wheel twiches an inch to the right.
By the way the rear leafs are original and a bit worn.
Suggestions ?
Al
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:55:25 PM by NY78TA »

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Question for Hitman
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:16:40 AM »
What areas have you measured?  I'd measure the bumper, the frame the wheel well and the suspension.  This should narrow it down as to what exactly is raised up.
Rich

Offline MacT/A80

• Mac's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
my car was the same way, so i did like you and put new hotchkis lowering springs on the front, but still the passenger side was higher, so then this year i finally replaced the rear leafs, and the more they get broken in the more the passenger side lowers, so now both sides are about equal.  Since were on this subject, does anynone have any ideas on why my passenger side front tire isn't straight? by straight i mean if you look at it from the top of the fender down over the tire, it seems like the top of the tire hangs out slightly farther than the bottom (on the pavement), kinda like this > ( / ) only not that bad  ;) maybe an alignment problem, but the car tracks perfect so i dunno. not tryin to steal this thead, just wondering if anyone knew
[IMG]
1980 Trans Am, 400 Pontiac, auto
2011 Mustang, 1971 GMC C2500, 250 Straight 6, 4sp

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »
Sounds like you do have a rear spring sagging (very common) and as it drops it allows tthe front to raise up. I'm only guessing, but have you measured the height of the car at all 4 corners?

MacT/A80, sounds like you could use an alignment/front end check. The angle you're describing is the camber. It can be off and not mess with the tracking of the vehicle. But it will eat of the tire as it is only riding on one edge.
Larry

Offline MacT/A80

• Mac's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
cool, thanx....to the alignment shop!
[IMG]
1980 Trans Am, 400 Pontiac, auto
2011 Mustang, 1971 GMC C2500, 250 Straight 6, 4sp

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »
Yes, I agree with everyone above.  The first thing to do for the measurements is measure the car all the way around.  Rather than use the bumerp or anything like that (which could be off as well), I would measure from the sidemarker lamps to the ground.  Find the centerpoint on each side marker lamp and measure that distance to the ground on all four corners.  Compare that to the stock height which is 22.2 inches in the front and 19.5 inches in the rear.  Once you know where the car's low point is, then we can figure out what is wrong.... is the front to high? .... is it the rear too low? ...... let us know after you take the measurements.
     As far as the steering box.... why would you change that?  If the car has some play to it, it is probably the pitman (idler) arm and not the actual stering box.  So, don't go changing the steering box just because he sdaid so.  Hope this helps and let us know the measurements.

MAC, yes, check the camber of the wheels.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline NY78TA

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. I had the cars frame checked out . The frame is okay.
The problem is not from an accident.
The drivers side rear leaf spring is bad (sitting lower then the other side)and that is  affecting the  front passenger wheel wall to have more height  then the drivers side.
When an air jack was placed by the drivers side rear leaf, it brought the front passenger fender down
alot.
The alignment shop iinitally told  me the difference was because my springs in the front was bad.
Now i realize it  was the rear leafs.
I  do wish the moogs sat a little lower . That can wait.
I was told the steering box was bad because by just starting the car with no hands on the  steering wheel , the wheel twiches to the right?
After changing all the bushings in the front  end ,new shocks and springs , i thought the car would be tighter when you turn the wheel from side to side.  It not super loose /just not alot of tension.You say it could be the pitman arm?
LMK? Al

Offline NY78TA

Suspension update
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »
I had the rear leafs strengthened and the right front spring cut  and the car is  sitting nice now. I am told it will take a few weeks to break in and settle.
Al