Author Topic: 79 trans am with 403 only has headlights working.  (Read 1668 times)

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
79 trans am with 403 only has headlights working.
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Hello everyone I already know this question was answered awhile ago however I wasn't able to see all the results to the solutions to the problem. I had sent a email to the gentleman however he never response. Anyhow this is my problem I hook a battery up to my 79 Trans am and only the headlights work. All wires are connected to the starter, battery, alt. And grounds are good. I bought a new ignition switch thinking it might be that. Have not as of now put that in yet. Also wondering what the easiest way to do that is? Anyhow my dad who is a mechanic says to look at the fusible links. Where are these and what do they look like? Any help in this would be great. I would like to enjoy this car this summer before my buddy completely restores it this winter. Thank you all.
4Saken

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: 79 trans am with 403 only has headlights working.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
best thing to start with is under the hood... see if you have power at the alternator with the battery hooked up.... should be some on the back stud.... next follow the wires, you should have a fusible link inline from the alternator to the battery I believe, if all that checks out, move on the inside at the fuse box, with a test light see if you have power coming on on the top left terminal thats your main power, if you dont have power there, then its most likely the connection between the fuse panel and underhood wiring on the firewall, unscrew the two apart, and clean the connections...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
There will be 2 fusible links. I have replaced both of mine. One from starter to battery and one from starter to alternator. Both should be close to the starter in the wire tube on drivers side of engine going down to starter. That is provided yours is still as it came from factory.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »
There will be 2 fusible links. I have replaced both of mine. One from starter to battery and one from starter to alternator. Both should be close to the starter in the wire tube on drivers side of engine going down to starter. That is provided yours is still as it came from factory.

Thanks, I havent really touched an original one in awhile... and mine is far from it!
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Thanks to all that replied. I will look for those fusible links. I really hope that it's something simple. Is it fairly simple to replace these links? I will also check to see if there is power to the fuse block inside the car. I never even thought of that one. Thank you again. I wish T/A-403 would read this and tell me how he got his fixed. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks again.
4Saken

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
 ;D Great news to all who replied to my post!!! I did as you guys suggested and after replacing the fusible links, He came to life. It took about three quick gas dumps into the carb but after that He fired right up, idled high for about a min then settled down and idled at 500 rpms. The biggest smile came upon my face. Thanks again guys. Everything works still including the factory clock in the rpm gauge. Awesome.
4Saken