Author Topic: '79 Esprit  (Read 3666 times)

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »
Guess I'm going to post up all my pictures on here to show you the progress. It isn't up to date as of last weekend but I'll try to get newer pics.
This is what the car looked like when I got it.

Put some body panels on...

Then was forced to put it in my friend's barn to work on it since my roommate didn't want it there anymore. So here are the beginning pics:

Removing engine. Now:

That was the "test" frame. The frame had a lot more work than I thought and I found a new frame that was in better condition so this one became the one to test out which cleans rust quickest, coats the best, etc.

Got the engine and transmission out. The frame was twisted and so the engine wasn't coming out very good.

Sandblasting the new frame...

The firewall before it was coated again.

Pretty much the only rust on the car, anywhere, is right there. There's a spot on the passenger quarter panel but it isn't bad.

The frame, coated.

Firewall, coated.

New frame on the car as well as all the control arms and stuff connected.

Another picture of it.

The new frame on the car, and the underbody where it is "split" at the trans tunnel.

Coated the headers in the kitchen two days ago. Over the past weekend we connected some lines, put in the engine and trans, hooked it all up, hooked up more lines, changed the trans gaskets, changed the oil pan gaskets, and that's about it so far. Next we have to connect more lines, hook up the electrical stuff, hook up the core support and radiator and hook up the lines to that, then put in fluids and body panels and we should be done.
79 T-Topped Esprit

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
'79 Esprit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »
Wow, you are really moving ont his project?  How long has it been since you started?
Rich

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
'79 Esprit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
You did your headers in THE KITCHEN?? :shock:  :lol:
Project is looking good!! 8)  Is the body tweaked or was just the frame bent?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:44:19 PM »
It's been almost a year in. A looooooong time for never driving the car, it's been an extreme test of patience. We think just the frame was twisted. I'm for the body being fine until proven otherwise. If I am proven otherwise, it's off to getting a 4-speed hardtop body. And yes, the headers were coated in the kitchen. Don't worry, I didn't overspray it much. It was the only option since it's so cold out.
79 T-Topped Esprit

Offline jrgarz

'79 Esprit
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:56:47 PM »
Not married are you - In the Kitchen?

Offline jrgarz

'79 Esprit
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 11:59:43 PM »
Oh yeah. What did you find to take care of the rust and coat the frame?

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 12:21:15 AM »
Well a D/A sander does good for the flat long spots, the sandblaster is good for the corners or spots that you just can't really get. Got the sandblasting gun kit from Mr. O' Tools for $15. Also got two 90 lb. bags of sand for $7 apiece I believe. I got some Chassis Saver for the coating, it's exactly like POR but I didn't have to order it and it's only 25 dollars a quart and comes in silver, gloss black, and semi-gloss black. I got the gloss because I think it looks better and is maybe more durable. And no, I'm not married haha. You'd probably know why... I have car posters everywhere and most of my furniture is built out of old car parts.
79 T-Topped Esprit

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
'79 Esprit
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »
Quote from: "cglenn"
and most of my furniture is built out of old car parts.

:shock:   :lol:  :lol:
Rich

Offline blue81ta

'79 Esprit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »
Looks like you're making good progress. Good Luck. Thanks for the pics.
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:12 PM »
I got some problems here. I have some Hooker Super Competition headers on that engine. I bought some gaskets for them and of course, they don't fit. Anywhere I go, they want to order the exhaust manifold ones, which aren't the same. Could I get some of that gasket roll stuff and make my own? And what kind of that stuff do I need? The only rolls I saw were different material and I don't think they would hold up to the heat.
79 T-Topped Esprit

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
'79 Esprit
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:46:29 PM »
why arent they the same ?
 should have the same exhaust ports right? if so the manifold gaskets work just fine
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16:48 PM »
Manifold gaskets are thinner, I think the reason why is because headers need more to "seal" the exhaust.
79 T-Topped Esprit

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
'79 Esprit
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
as long as your headers are actually flat across, which they all should be, a manifold gasket will work just fine, the fel-pros arent any thinner than most aftermarket gaskets, but if you still claim you need something thicker youll probablly have to order through summit or jegs....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline cglenn

'79 Esprit
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
They are almost flat. I could maybe sand them down, I guess.
79 T-Topped Esprit