Author Topic: Cam choice w/ 350 heads?  (Read 5537 times)

Offline transamfan

Cam choice w/ 350 heads?
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »
I dropped of the heads at the machine shop today (#5 350 heads) and am having them fixed up for my 403.  I will be adding the Edelbrock Performer intake, a new distributer, and cam.  I already have headers. 

This is my first engine extravaganza so I want to make sure I make the right choices here.  I am not too sure what cam to go with. The car is only driven on nice days when I can take the t-tops out and cruise around, so it's not going to be a racing machine.  The machine shop today recommended a comp cam 218/224 at .050 inch lift.  From my research I had thought that I should go with something a little more mild.  Something between 206 and 218 or so.  I don't have the experience with this to know what I should go with.  I will be installing the cam myself and don't necessarily want to have to degree the cam, so I would like to keep things pretty strait forward.  I also don't want to have to change anything else (stall converter for example).  Some of you with experience in this area, I could use a helping hand.  What do I use.  Need to know pretty soon to let the machinist know.  Thanks for the help.

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cam choice w/ 350 heads?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
oh id tell you to get my cam but i dont have the number of it anymore...its in maryland unless you are going to be on your engine till about mid-april ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline transamfan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »
I don't think that will work.  I need to let the machine shop know so they can build the heads accordingly.  I told him to clean them up and do what he could and then give me a call and I would let him know what I wanted to do.  I expect to be hearing from him by Thursday

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »
well all on this page are good lifts....and i hear EXTREMELY GOOD things about lunatis cams
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=olds+camshaft&N=700+400421+4294908158+115+4294861490&Ntk=KeywordSearch

and unless your running roller rockers and a fully adjustable setup id stick around these...
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=olds+camshaft&N=700+4294908158+4294861490+400114+4294840114+4294887485+115+4294838641&Ntk=KeywordSearch
Eroc

Offline transamfan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:29 AM »
Well, I have been talking to some guys over on oldspower.com and they seem to think I should use Lunati.  They say that they are a little better in Oldsmobile and I noticed they are a little cheaper too. 

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
cool, let us know how it runs
Eroc

Offline transamfan

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:03:19 AM »
It will be a few weeks, but I will post how it turns out.

Offline Ashtray77

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:38:25 AM »
Have you seen the 403 article at texastransams.com?    Give's me some hope for the future.  check it out.

http://www.texastransams.com/articles/2002ron_l_403_article.htm

Offline transamfan

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »
That is what has motivated me to do this.  I have now gotten the heads back from the machine shop, am ordering the cam today, and will be putting it all together in a couple of weeks when school lets out.  I plan on making a post in the restoration project forum and give step by step pictures on the whole process as well as prices for everything.  This way guys who want to do this to their 403 will have an easier time than I did trying to find out good info.

Offline Ashtray77

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »
Oh, ok, cool.  I thought I'd mention that one cuz he says the specs of the cam he put in. 

I want to do this too, but I want to go one step further and put in a beefed up 200-4R  and a 3.42~3.73 rear gear.  You get the best of both worlds, the nice launch of a low gear and the decent mileage of a high gear. 

;D ;D ;D

Offline transamfan

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »
Picking my cam was a little different because I have 2.41 gears and didn't want to have to change them.  Keep an eye out in the restoration projects section for my build, I will do my best to provide a lot of good info and pictures.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
well all on this page are good lifts....and i hear EXTREMELY GOOD things about lunatis cams

We'll see tomorrow how the Lunait cam works in my 400 :)
Rich

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »

We'll see tomorrow how the Lunait cam works in my 400 :)

im really looking foward to that!
Eroc

Offline dazeakamike

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 12:16:15 AM »
smart idea to not go with those cams... your right, you do not have the ratio for it unless you are running an overall different tire diameter.

(side note)
As for putting a (numerically) high ratio rear in, with a high duration cam and a 2004r trans I would seriously sit down and do the math before rushing into anything, there are alot of factors for this idea.

You will feel a serious drop in performance from 1st gear to 2nd gear.
There is a TV cable that has to be adjusted 100% or you can damage the trans (depending on the carb you run you will need a recalibrated linkage for it, for the proper angle).
2004rs have a lock-up style torque converter witch should be set to no more than 45 mph so that means an external controler or no lock-up converter (recomended only for race application not street use).
New Speedometer Gear.
Relocate Trans X-member (mount is in a different spot)
New Shifter for recalibration plate for stock shifter(3 speed to 3 with OD)

But hey the yolk from the drive shaft is the same and a th350 short tail shaft are the same physical size(close enough)

Cruising speed will more than likely be out of your cams power range and not have the perfomance you are looking for... just suggesting you do your home work before you spend your money and time to only be unhappy.
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !