Author Topic: cam/rod/main bearings  (Read 3852 times)

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
cam/rod/main bearings
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
i'm ordering up some new cam, rod, and main bearings today.  i decided on the summit parts but i'm trying to decide between their "standard" and "high-performance" bearings.

The rod and main bearings are all silicon aluminum (bi-metal).
The high performance rod bearings are chamfered, while the standard are not.

The high performance main bearings say:"Larger chamfer for crank-fillet clearance."

The standard cam bearings are made of steel backed babbit, while the HP ones are made of silicon-aluminum.

Any help on deciding here?  They are going into a Goodwrench Chevy 350 with mostly stock stuff, except Edelbrock Performer cam and intake manifold.  Thanks guys.

Edit: I also need to order a timing chain kit. I'm gonna match my cam with an Edelbrock kit, but I'm trying to decide if I need one with multiple (three) keyways, or just get the emissions one keyway one.  Not sure about that too. Thanks!
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
cam/rod/main bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »
why dont you just go clevitte ? they are nascar approved and all that i would use for a motor....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
cam/rod/main bearings
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:02:57 PM »
ok i looked into the clevite bearings but now there are a lot more options... what the heck are all these m-series p-series, v-series... i have no idea!
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
cam/rod/main bearings
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »
well p is a stock series bearing
h and v is a high performance, just meaning the crankshaft fillet area is larger, youll only want these if you are running an aftermarket crank....
v is short for vandervell which is a well known bearing...these have slightyly better conformobility than the h series because of a lead-indium overlay.
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
cam/rod/main bearings
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »
I've used Vandervell since 87 and those bearings seem to be bullet proof. I had the luxury of building several engines for myself and then using it so much that I had to go back in and freshen it up after about 100K. The Vandervell bearings were reused everytime, they mic'd the same as they did when I put them in.

Of course, excellent oilflow and filtration were key. Unless you're going to be running a 1000 horsepower with 300 HP shot of nitrous I'd say any bearing will live in your engine as long as you keep the timing set right, allow the engine to warm up before loading it and keep the oil changed.

Many people don't understand that poor ignition timing will have an effect on bearing life just as much as poor oil filtration.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!