Author Topic: Operation TATA  (Read 67492 times)

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: **UPDATED** New 79 Tenth Anniversary Project
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
Amazing the 79 is the most numerous TA built and yet has the least amount of repro'ed items
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
It's not a strike against the '79 model, the under-seat pan isn't repro'd for any year.

You'll find there are a ton of used parts on the market for '79 simply because it was such a high production year.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
Ok yeah I figured I would get one out of a yard, just makes things a bit more difficult
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: Operation TATA
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
Well got quite a bit done today.  Got the power steering working what was just out of fluid, and the brakes bled and working again.  They are not perfect but good enough to get the car stopped and moved around.  Also put air in all the tires. 

Then tore out the interior and inventoried the parts.  Now I can see what I do and don't need.  Here are some pics:

Dave
_______

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
I did the same thing today, removed all the plastic/vinyl material in the rear, and along the door frame etc. The pillars and most all the plastic/vinyl moldings along the headliner and rear seats I removed. I am making a video of what I am doing, and will post it maybe tomorrow. I plan to remove my rear seats tomorrow too. Good Job man, seems we got a lot in common at the moment, a garage floor full of upholstery items and molding metal. Nice work, should become a good looking car.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
Sad thing is looks like most of this is going to be trash.  From what I can see the back window was busted out at some time and detroyed 90% of all the interior is destroyed and needs to be replaced. =(

The motor seems to run strong.  It has a bad knock that seems to be coming from under the right hand valve cover, so I am going to pull that and see what I can find.  The good part is the motor is dry and seems to have little or no leaks. 

IF I can find the source of the knock and it is a fairly easy fix, I might leave the motor alone for the most part, other than a compression test and see where I stand.  If it is strong, there is no need to tear into it.  I'll still clean things up and replace hoses and belts but thats all. 

So I will keep you upto date on what I find.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:25:02 AM by 10Aniv »
Dave
_______

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »
Well you can check Sherman parts for your floor pans...

Part number 697-46CFR 259.00

It DOES include the pan under the rear seats. I know...I bought a set for my car. IF you can find someone who's a dealer you should be able to get a discount. The car club I belong to took my total cost down into the $300 range for both sides including shipping. If you were in NY I'd offer to get them ordered for ya but I think shipping would eat up any savings I could try to pass along.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »
For 300 bucks I would drive up and get them!  Let me sort things out and I will let you know.
Dave
_______

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
PM me when you're ready to order and I'll make sure I get you an accurate quote. I bought mine about 2 yrs ago but the price hasn't changed from what I remember.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
Will do.  Are yours the made in USA ones or the made in taiwan ones?  I notice the imports are about 89 bucks each.
Dave
_______

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »
I remember a sticker stating Made in USA... Here's a link to their product catalog:

http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/product_list.html?img_num=832_833

I only purchased their full length floor pans though...rest of the sheetmetal was either hand made by the 1st resto shop OR I bought a rear quarter panel skin through Classic Industries as they had a deal on shipping at the time.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »
Awesome thanks.  I am actually have a place in NY to store them until I get up there to get them but would be curious on shipping since VA isn't all too far away.
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 04:50:19 AM »
Well as I work on the car I find an interesting change taking place.  My goal when I bought it was to make it like new.  Now though I find that although I want it to look good and it will have alot of new parts, I want to keep more of the things that came with the car. 

I guess I know this car has not had an easy life and part of me wants to keep some of that past alive in the restored car. 

One thing I am thinking of and the purists are going to want to kill me, but I am thinking of putting the 77-78 front nose on it.  Now the paint scheme will stay the same, and the stock 79 nose will also be painted and ready to install if and when I want to return it to stock, but I always liked that front end better.  Ok you all can flame me know.  ;D  It's just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:01:17 AM by 10Aniv »
Dave
_______

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
I personally don't like the nose on the 79-81 cars but that's just me so I'd say go for it! Especially since you're holding onto the original nose.

IF you do the swap you'll need a bunch of brackets, the 77/78 bumper beam, and you'll need to adjust your wiring harness as the lights may be in different locations and/or have different connectors. Good luck with the swap...I'm considering doing just that with the 80 firebird I have.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
Dave -- the only cautionary note I'd sound is this:  Even though you intend to have the original nose ready to go back on, when time comes to sell it will you be wanting to go ahead and put it back on before you offer it for sale, or will you take the hit financially because it's non-stock?

Non-stock cars are fine -- as long as they are yours.  But when it comes time to sell invariably modifications away from stock tend to decrease resale value.  That's because one man's dream may well be the next man's nightmare.  That's just the way it's panned out after watching these sales of modified cars for years and years.  No matter the quality of the work and the price of the parts, it seems that in 95% of cases modifications hurt resale value.

Yeah, you've got the original parts to put back on, but it's not a real easy swap.  There's some work involved -- nothing impossible, but still some work.  If/when the time comes that you decide to part ways with the car, you'll either have to put work into a project you don't want anymore (which is why you'll be selling it) or willing to take the hit because the nose doesn't match the year or the tail end.  That means choosing between two ways to go, neither of which may sound all that attractive at the time when you just want the car gone.

That's my only caution -- otherwise, it's your car to fix as you see fit and enjoy as you like! ;)