Author Topic: My CLUSTER PLUG INFO  (Read 6790 times)

Offline 79 Rebel

Re: My CLUSTER PLUG INFO
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:51 PM »
no not yet
shen i pull the cluster out for the break
i have to figure that out

Offline 79 Rebel

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
how do i go about gluing the printed circuit

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
Use a little piece of aluminum foil which overlaps the tear.  Lay the foil over the tear and glue the sides down.  Then I would use electrical tape to take it tight.  Use an ohm meter to make sure you can draw current through the torn area.  I would take the circuit off the cluster to do this.  I can't think of another way.  You've got to get the foil on top of the copper that's laid on top of the bottom plastic and under the top plastic.  That circuit is sandwiched in between two pieces of plastic.

Also, don't let the foil spill over and touch the cluster housing.  That will cause voltage to leak into the housing and screw up your ground.

If gluing doesn't work, you'll have to replace that circuit.  I looked for places that you could run a strap and couldn't find one.

However, if you have a soldiering iron, you could soldier a strap to two light bulbs which would carry current throughout the dash illumination curcuit.  I'm in San Diego right now, so I can't be more specific.  But, follow that circuit, I think one bulb is before the tear and three or four are after the tear.  Take a bulb and soldier a jumper wire to the correct terminal of one bulb, allowing for enough slack to reach another bulb socket.  The soldier the other end to another bulb....and plug in both bulbs.  That will jump the tear in the circuit and would probably work better than gluing.  However, if one of the bulbs go out, you'll need to resoldier a new one to get illumination for that socket.

if I was at home, I'd try it for you to see if soldiering works......I bet it will.

Offline 79 Rebel

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
also with the plug in on back of speedo
two of the steel tabs broke off that keep them secure
is there any other way to keep them secured in plug

Offline 79 Rebel

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
ok so just take tin foil
lay it down over the two ripped sides then glue it down and put the plasic over back on top
before when i did it
i put a pretty big piece of foil and over lapped it arcoss on to the top of cluster to the metal and taped it

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
also with the plug in on back of speedo
two of the steel tabs broke off that keep them secure
is there any other way to keep them secured in plug
I don't know of any way to solve that.  Replace the speedo.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
ok so just take tin foil
lay it down over the two ripped sides then glue it down and put the plasic over back on top
before when i did it
i put a pretty big piece of foil and over lapped it arcoss on to the top of cluster to the metal and taped it

Another idea is to take a wire a lay it on the circuit pad for the bulb on the current side of the break.  Put the bulb in the socket and try to lock the wire to the pad with the terminal of the bulb.  Run the wire to a bulb pad on the non current side of the break and do the same thing.  That might work.  If it does, tape the wire down with some electrical tape.

Gluing the foil may or may not work.  If you go the glue route, you really don't want any foil outside the plastic sandwich of the circuit.  Otherwise it might come in contact with the cluster housing.

Offline 79 Rebel

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »
no no ta78
i was referring to on the plug two of the little tabs that you push in to release the wire outta the plug broke
can i stick foil under them in the plug to secure the wires in

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
no no ta78
i was referring to on the plug two of the little tabs that you push in to release the wire outta the plug broke
can i stick foil under them in the plug to secure the wires in

Geez, I misunderstood you.  Try wedging something in there to hold it in place.  If just the little locking tab broke, get something like a little piece of plastic to wedge in the slot to hold the pin.  Or, use one of the spare pins in the cluster and splice the wire to it. 

You need to be gently with those pins....very, very gentle.  Unfortunately, pulling those pins was the only way to straighten out your wiring mess.

Offline 79 Rebel

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »
its ok
i juat shoved some tin foil in the end and its holding them tight
the wiring it looks and though they have the green wire for the water gauge taped up and not using it at all
same with the solid orange
should i hook em up or no

and im guess the bkack wire that is running up near the light switch is a ground right

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
its ok
i juat shoved some tin foil in the end and its holding them tight
the wiring it looks and though they have the green wire for the water gauge taped up and not using it at all
same with the solid orange
should i hook em up or no

and im guess the bkack wire that is running up near the light switch is a ground right

Test that black wire with an ohm meter and you'll know for sure if it's grounded.

Yes, hook up the temp gauge.  Why not have everything work?