Author Topic: Reverse lights  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
Reverse lights
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »
  Ok so I need some help. My 78 T/A is a 4speed and I do not have the reverse lockout rod. There was switch hooked up for it on the dash when I first bought the car but it was a lot of different guage wires and looked really bad. So what is the right way of going about this? What is the correct switch(does it need a light on it) and where can I put it and does it need to be right in front or on a certain place of the dash? What color and gauge wire should I use? I am capable and willing but dont want to mess anything up doing guess work. Thanks for any and all help.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: Reverse lights
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
Hi Justin,

This is a little more than just an electrical wiring problem and I'm not familiar with the 4 speed set up on the TA's. I will look at my chassis service manual and see what I can come up with. Hopefully, someone with a 4 speed TA will chime in and tell us how it is supposed to be so we can go from there.
I'm not sure, it sounds like you don't really care about having it set up like it came from the factory. You just want it wired to a switch so you can turn it on when you need it. Right?
Or do you want to put it back the way it should be. I'm not clear on this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:16:05 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline LilSki

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
I was kind of in the same situation you are. My headers don't allow the the rod assembly to work. So I found this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-2480003/

It mounts to the 1st and 3rd stop bolt on the aftermarket hurst shifters. If you have a factory hurst shifter you have a non threaded hole that you could tap and put a bolt in.

As for the wires they don't have to be that large. Below is a pic of my factory wires going into the wires I made for my backup switch from the link above. My wires are 14ga.

Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »
Well If I can avoid having it hooked up to a switch on the dash I will because that just looks cheap. I am not worried about looking like factory though.

It mounts to the 1st and 3rd stop bolt on the aftermarket hurst shifters. If you have a factory hurst shifter you have a non threaded hole that you could tap and put a bolt in.
Do you have a picture of this switch installed? I am not exactly sure what you meant by your discription. I have never looked at the shifter too closely. Thanks for you help.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline LilSki

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »
I'll see if I can crawl under there enough to get a shot of it after work. I also have a factory shifter I'll show for comparison.
Kevin

Offline 78ta

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:53:51 AM »
I'll see if I can crawl under there enough to get a shot of it after work. I also have a factory shifter I'll show for comparison.
No need to crawl under the car. The link above to the switch on Summit has a link with instructions on installing the switch. It's actually a PDF file. It shows how the switch mounts to the shifter. Pretty slick actually.
Here's a direct link to the PDF.  http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/huu-2480003.pdf

Justin, you mentioned that you had a bunch of different sized wires going to a switch you thought was for the reverse lights. As seen in the pic lilski posted, the plug for the reverse lights appears to be just a 2 pin plug.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:57:40 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline LilSki

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »
Haha yeah that makes my life easier lol!

The factory shifter doesn't have a bolt there but it has a hole that can be tapped.

I didn't even have to take my console out to do it. I just took the bezel out, then the boot assembly and was able to reach it from there. Thus far it works great!
Kevin

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »
I didn't see the PDF file at first thanks. Yeah it had a ot of different size wires to s switch and the lights did work( three years ago ). I took it out because I was worried it could start a fire. Some wires were exposed. I believe I have the stock shifter. I'll take a look at the PDF file now. Thanks guys.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
How do you wire it up afterswitch is installed?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline LilSki

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
It is a pretty simple circuit. When the switch is on it connects the two wires turning the backup lights on. To test it you just jump the wires on that harness in my picture and the backup lights should turn on.
Kevin

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
well....heres a really really stupid noob question. Where am I wiring it up to so I get power to the switch?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline LilSki

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Are any of the factory wires left? Like do you have any wires that are pink and green like the ones I pictured? Its fine if the connector is long gone but if you have the wires that is all you need. The connector is simply a break in the circuit. When you connect the two wires it completes the circuit.
Kevin

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
oh ok
Thanks.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 78ta

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »
Justin,
The back up lights are grounded back at the tail panel. All that is needed to make them come on is 12v. The pink wire IS the 12v power wire for the switch/lights. What might be confusing you is the green wire. The pink and green wires are actually the same line that provides 12v to the lights. It just changes colors along the way to the back up lights. They just cut/broke that line to put a switch in the line to open and close the circuit in order to turn the lights on and off. If you find and touch the pink and green  wires together(with the key on), the back up lights should light up. So once you find the pink and green wires, all you need to do is add a length of wire to each one long enough to reach the new switch mounted on the shifter. Assuming, that is, if you're getting the one from summitt above. Just connect one of those wires to one side of the new switch and the other wire to the other side of the switch and you're done. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which side of the new switch either.

Do you have a meter or test light and know how to check for 12 volts dc? I thought you did.

Yep, according to the chassis service manual wiring diagram, the pink wire originates at the "back up" fuse in the fuse box. It then goes to the turn signal flasher and continues on and goes into one side of the back up lamp switch and ends there. A light green wire comes out of the other side of the back up lamp switch and goes to the main body connector and then to one of the back up lamps. Again, this is the same 12v supply wire that started out as the pink wire.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:59:46 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline v8nut72

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:27 AM »
Glad someone else had the same issue I had. Now I can finally get rid of the stupid switch in the dash.

My car has headers that obstruct the reverse rod that goes up to the switch on the steering column.

I'm ordering that kit right away since I've got the shifter out to remove the engine and gearbox for rebuild.

Nice job guys.

No replacement for displacement