Author Topic: build a bandit on EBAY  (Read 31358 times)

Offline 4speed76

Re: build a bandit on EBAY
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
LOL too funny.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline holtzel

• Holtzel and his dad's project
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »
Heck, as a junior member here, I want to be careful to not sound like I know everything.  Not my intention at all.  But, I must add, if you want one of these on ebay, better get his info cause regardless of his workmanship and his abilities, his ebay listing is ebay illegal.  Cannot post any auction on ebay with options unless ebay has given him express permisiion to do so.  Not likely.  Well, just had to throw that in.  That being said, I would prefer to buy and build myself.  Heck, that is where the fun is at!!!  I do enjoy this forum.
Barry and Ben (Father and son project)
-----------------------------------------------------
1979 Trans Am
Paint: White 11L 11U
Interior: Doeskin Blue 24N
Owned since 1983
82000 Miles
Garage Stored since 1991

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »
i wouldnt knab their phone number knowing i will have more than 10 k into my car doing it myself not buying everyhing new. something smells like teen spirit with no deodorant with that listing.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline holtzel

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
That is my thoughts exactly.  I wouldn't trust it.  Still some fine TAs out there.  So if your lookin, get a good one.  You guys know why our cars are special?  Because they have good history.  I tell my boy this, 

"When I got my 79 TA, a lot of TAs of different years and colors were around.  They were sleek and mean all over.  There was a few that got cowboyed to death by some of my friends.  Some were wrecked by under-qualified drivers and a few over-intoxicated.  Most of them local TAs got so bad that they made it to the local dirt track or the junk yard.  But, my car was safe in the garage with a blanket over it.  Drove it to feel good cause TA drives so smooth.  Still the best driving car I have ever owned.  Never abused my car.  Now, I am glad I took care of it."

I gave it to my boy as his special car as he will turn 16 soon.  We are gonna show it some and he will cruise in it on occasion.

I am partial to my ride cause I know its history.  I helped paint a few of the TAs and tune them up a bit in the late 80s and early 90s.  Just helped and was never a body man or mechanic but saw what went into them just by helping.  Sorry to say, they looked good, sounded good, but had been driven too hard or wrecked almost beyond repair.  That is my concern when I see an auction like this.  If it has that many options, what happened to the car?  Could be good cars but what if???  I wouldn't spent my $$ on that gamble.  Better to try to buy a sound ride with good history and fix it yourself or even hire someone to do it.  Just start with a good car.

Well, that is about all I have to say about that...lol   
1979 Trans Am
Owned since 1983
82000 Miles
Garage Stored since 1991

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
I totally agree man, good story behind it too. Awesome. My first car which I got in July is my formula i have now. Love it and wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for giving your son a great car, I know you're a good dad because my dad did the same for me and gave me my Formula about a year ago.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline holtzel

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
That is cool.  I figured my dad gave it to me so I should give it to my son.  He is a good kid.  He has done about everything to the car to get it detailed and back on the road with a little help from me.   A father and son thing.  It is a cool project for us.  Only funny thing I have to add is when I told my dad I was giving the TA to my son he remarked, "do ya think it is a safe car for him?"  I responded, "wasn't it safe enough for me?" 

What year is your formula?  My buddy had one in white and blue like my TA.  We parked them side-by-side at school.  A beautiful memory for me.

Well, guess I am getting off topic some so I will add...  I say to anybody looking for a fine TA, be careful and get a good one.  It is too easy to paint junk and get beat.

Thanks for the cool comment Anastasiofan92.
1979 Trans Am
Owned since 1983
82000 Miles
Garage Stored since 1991

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »
i plan to do the same for my son but i have about 10 years still to worry. he wants a camaro though. he likes the "front better" i think thats because i had a black 79 z28 until last spring and i sold it shortly after my wife lost her job that was my graduation present. a decade before.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
My formulas a 78. Check that link in my signature for the photobucket account that has all my pics of the car.

Offline holtzel

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 11:26:40 AM »
Yes, A fine ride anastasiofan92.  Haven't seen one around here in a long time.  We live in a small town and not many 70s Pontiacs at all around here. 

I have to add for y88rick, seems like 10 years happens fast these days.  This project has been like no other experience I have ever had.  Ben and I have had a blast working on the car.  More like brothers nowadays than father and son.  We are going to see how the body man is doing on the car today.  Been in his shop a week so far and gonna check on the progress.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:28:34 AM by holtzel »
1979 Trans Am
Owned since 1983
82000 Miles
Garage Stored since 1991

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »
It's fun but I got a little frustrated since I had to pay for everything myself through my job but it's totally worth it.. :D

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
yes i know 10 years flies. im getting a 80 camaro this weekend from a buddy for free as he just wants it gone due to his daughters graduation party. maybe i'll keep it for him and maybe not. I do understand the bond though.........my brother, dad and uncle all shared that at one time. now its mainly me and my uncle but the other two still chime in with thoughts.

Offline sl1jackson

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
I have come across his adds a few times. I agree with everyone else. Something just seems a little off. His wording and descriptions are very confusing!
I thought about buying one for a second though.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
yes i know 10 years flies. im getting a 80 camaro this weekend from a buddy for free as he just wants it gone due to his daughters graduation party. maybe i'll keep it for him and maybe not. I do understand the bond though.........my brother, dad and uncle all shared that at one time. now its mainly me and my uncle but the other two still chime in with thoughts.

has it got t roof's?

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

That thermostat housing and upper radiator hose isn't right on this 403. The housing should point straight up and the hose run behind the alternator. That hose is in trouble in that location.
Steve F.

Offline jrayers1967

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
I have seen one of the cars they did at pigeon forge . I didn't hate it . It was rust free and clean . It needed some detail work but not bad for the money. I think I remember seeing a spot on tv about build the bandit. If I go this year I will get some pictures and maybe visit the shop.