Author Topic: OER Dashboards  (Read 44859 times)

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: OER Dashboards
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
It was soft- like an original?  I don't remember their exact feel from 30 years ago, but it isn't a hard dash cap.

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
LOL! good point... I don't remember the feel of a dash when it was new either.  I was only 5 when my 79's were new  ;D  I had heard that they were more rigid, thats why i ask
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:14 AM »
The years-long waiting list got really short, Brian.  I sold a 79 400 4-speed locally.  The guy ordered the dash last fall, and got it this February IIRC.  Most people had given up according to YearOne, and so new orders were filled pretty fast until they ran out of the first run.  BTW- we put it in last weekend and it fit great.

That's what I pretty much figured. IF I had been waiting on one for the Y88, I wouldn't have driven the car since paint was finished in '07. Heck, I sent the dash to Just Dashes in '05 so tack 2 more years onto that IF I had actually decided to order from Classic. That's an awful long time for anyone to wait.

Where's the pics Mike? Need to see the new tooling ;D

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
I didn't think to bring my camera when I went over to his place.  I wish now that I had gotten on the list last year- they are saying it'll be another year before the next run.

Offline vidguy

• web dev, cars and guitars
    • ICV - Web Development - Live Webcasting / Video Studio
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »
I received and installed mine which I ordered in person at CI in Huntington Beach in Feb 09.
At the time the guy showed me the list and I was 350th or so on the list. I got 2 phone calls 2 weekends ago that it was in. So I went ahead and paid. I got it in 3 days.
I'm not sure why I was "chosen" to get a call for this limited run.

I am guessing that many people above me cancelled, moved and couldn't be reached or sold the cars?

It looks ... new. It is an excellent piece. Went in real well. No real issues. It's soft.
Especially for the money which I think is real fair. Use a 15% off coupon, I could of picked it up for $340 + tax.
If you look at the part, it is VERY complex. With a metal frame that gets attached, etc..
I can see why it has taken 3-4 runs to get it right, but I think its easily "Excellent" quality. Now I have not fitted my Radio :-) but everything else was either spot on or very close, with only mounting hole alignment issues that were really pretty minor.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:43:43 PM by vidguy »
--
James

Formula runs my Homebuilt Roller Cammed 455 / TH400
1967 GTO Convertible Original Motor - Running a Tripower for the fun of it.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
Good to know...any pictures?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline vidguy

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
I'll put up some photos tonight. I posted some of the box and the part when I got it over here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuUBRr8

This changes entirely the value of old dashes IMO.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:48:24 PM by vidguy »
--
James

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
That's really good to hear...elaborate on the mounting/alignment issues when you have time please.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline vidguy

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
I installed it yesterday.

Everything went well.  Took about 5 hours for Remove and Replace with me spending about an hour diddling with other parts associated with it.
A 3 beer job.

What Can I say.. It looks new.. And I had just restored mine with the padded dash filler and bedliner a few months ago thinking I wont wait... So I will be selling that not original looking but perfectly uncracked and flat dash!

The only issues, and I'll post pics tonight of a few steps. were,

The Color.
If you are doing Black. I dont think its as Black as the other parts. But I opted to not spray it. It is very hard to notice in the environment of the car. Glovebox looks different. I may take that off and spray a mix of blacks and grays as a test to see If I can match it better.

No Hardware.
After doing it, it would be good to get a kit with it, or buy one maybe from F-Body Warehouse where I got mine a long time back.
I'd also first ID all the screws and chase them into the new holes first. That would have made it easier.. I didnt.

1) The Driver's side Dash Vent fits tightly. It doesn't rotate smoothly. I filed the holes a little and filed off some mold parting line flash but it needs some more dressing to be free like the stock.. I really dont care. I'll leave it. It does move but its glitchy.

2) The Studs coming down from the top were not in alignment with (or my car was a bit off) the metal dash tabs/holes they fit into. About 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I had to push the dash hard to the passenger side to get them into the holes in the metal dash. Could be completely a car to car difference.

It mounts with 3 screws on the instrument area that screw up into plastic. Studs on the Passenger side that take speed nuts. The far most drivers side plastic hole was tough to get in line with the opening in the metal dash I had to push it towards the front of the car. But a little pushing and I got it.

3) The 4 Gauge Pod Mounting holes might be a few hundredths to the Driver side. I'll have to check that again I didn't button the gauges up there could be something (Wire Harness) pushing it from the rear. The screws were not lining up EXACTLY.  Not a big deal

No hole for GloveBox Light Mount.. Drilled one.

Everything else fit well.
I have to say that for this price.... The value of used dashes has just fallen 300 dollars. And Just Dashes might feel some hurt.

I did see two flaws.
1) A small slice in the pad near the Defroster switch where they must of cut it when cleaning the silicon off the part after molding it I guess. I saw a lot of silicon residue and scratch marks on the plastic part near there that you mount the Vent and cig lighter defroster plate to. The little cut is about 1/8 inch long. I could make a stink but it's very, very small and I really am not bothered.

2) A place under the top about 1 inch around. Its right where the Dash Bezel  metal "hood" ends towards the driver. (I'll never see it) where the texture is smoother. They must have repaired a flaw.
Again.. I really am not bothered.

For the price it's fantastic. it is soft and pliable and you can see the foam and how it is constructed.
--
James

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
Excellent well written review...thank you
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline vidguy

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:37 AM »
Thanks. I dont think there's anyway you'll get an original to look this good for this price. It may not be perfect but are any of the originals out there?
No way. And none of the plastic is broken or holes stripped like the originals. I just can't see any complaints. Now if it was an $800.00 part.. well then I'd be less forgiving..

For the price it's a great deal. Heck you could buy two for the cost of a single Just Dashes redo.
I coulda picked this up at CI in SO Cal (almost had my son do that for me) for 340 and change.

I added some more pics of the part as it was being installed. I'll take some more of it in the car tomorrow after work.
same link. Go about half way down for the install shots. Starting with a shot of the Center Vent attached. I added some comments.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuUBRr8

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:34:38 AM by vidguy »
--
James

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 08:00:27 AM »
Looks pretty darn good to me. Thanks for posting!!

Now if I only had a car with a black interior that needed a dash....

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline vidguy

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
They can be dyed for sure! Using SEM.
--
James

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
Already been that route with my sail panels and rear quarter trim. Minute it gets nicked you see the color underneath.

Offline luckyone

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
great write up.. looks nice!