Author Topic: OER Dashboards  (Read 44856 times)

Offline TA78+99

Re: OER Dashboards
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
I agree with RareBird's advice - get on back order if you can.  While I haven't received mine yet, I have to think if these things are ever produced I'll get one eventually.  I've been on backorder with Classic almost three years now (since January 2008).  At the time I was backorder number 108 or something (that is how many backorders were ahead of me).  I checked earlier this year to see if they still had my backorder on record, credit card number etc. and they did.

My interior restoration is in a long line right now so no hurry.  At shows I cover the two small cracks with my PHS documentation. :) 
1978 W72, 4SPD, WS6, Hurst Hatches, Brown, 102K Miles
1999 LS1, 6Spd, Black, 11K Miles

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 06:38:28 PM »
My problem is solved.  Eunan and I found a nice camel tan dash at the salvage yard Saturday.  The dash (which has no cracks) was $61.99 and included all the gauges and the bezel.  Not a bad deal.  The only problem is it's a non deluxe dash and doesn't have the grab bar.  It does need to be dyed.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
I have a camel grab bar w/trim bezels you can have.  also needs dyed. 

work with ya on some nice front turn lights?  or some other part I might need down the road.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
I have a camel grab bar w/trim bezels you can have.  also needs dyed. 

work with ya on some nice front turn lights?  or some other part I might need down the road.
I've got the grab bar on the dash that's in the car now.  Thanks for the offer.  I wish you were my next door neighbor though.

Offline Falcon4

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:01 AM »
This is as bad as 78 - 80 Camaro Tail lights.  Can't get them for love nor money. I paid US$350.00 for a set on "buy it now", only to be told that the listing was a mistake.......BS.  I believe they do that to gauge expressions of interest before they produce them.
'72 Lemans Wagon T-41 and 455 HO
'79 T/A w/403
'76 T/A w/455
'79 Z28 w/350 4 bolt mains
'78 F-100 351 Cleveland 4x4
'66 Valiant
'04 Ford Falcon 5.4 Ltr

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »

junk.pure junk-trim this-trim that-trim ash bezel-good luck-just spend the money nos.

Do you have an nos camel tan dash for a 78?  I'd be happy to look at it if you do.

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »
I still don't understand what takes sooooo long.  We in the auto industry have designed entire cars, tooling to build those cars and found suppliers to build parts in less time than it's taken to get this dash right.  Oh and I have the tooling to make these hidden away in a special spot, i'm just holding out :P
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
If you hold out too long you'll miss the bubble.  If you really do have the tooling to make dashes....you should find a partner and go for it. 

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
HA! I wish I had the tooling! But hey! I do design that sort of tooling for a living ;)
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
I still don't understand what takes sooooo long.  We in the auto industry have designed entire cars, tooling to build those cars and found suppliers to build parts in less time than it's taken to get this dash right.  Oh and I have the tooling to make these hidden away in a special spot, i'm just holding out :P

Simple - cost. The cost of tooling is extremely high. So you have to insure that you have enough demand to cover the initial investment in the tooling. And then you also have to have enough demand to cover the cost of materials and labor to actually make the product. And you have to be able to compete with restoration companies like Just Dashes and Dashboard Restorations (a couple that come to mind).

So in this particular instance, they have to know that their Return On Investment (ROI) will be there to offset all the initial costs.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
I understand the ROI theory Brian, I really do.  What I don't get is, that they've already guaged interest or they wouldn't be doing it at all.  Not to mention the reason why the restoration prices are so high is that there is virtually no other choice besides a dash cap, finding a pristine dash in a bone yard or paying top dollar for a good used or even higher NOS.  We all know that finding a great dash in a bone yard (let alone a whole 2nd gen) is becoming increasingly harder to do.  So, if they can keep the price reasonable (under the restoration companies) they've got the market cornered!! Jackpot!!  But at the same time, the quality must be top notch... I know the quality of the restorations are top notch.  I've heard that the repop dashes are hard like the dash caps.  Never seen one myself so I cannot confirm.  This however suggests to me that they are cutting corners to increase ROI.  Not a smart choice IMO.  Of course, i'm not in line for one, nor will I be until I see them for myself or read lots of positive reviews here from you guys.  I design this type of tooling everyday for a living, so I can attest to it's price.  Boy it ain't cheap!  But after all these years and taking peoples money, you'd think they'd get it done, and done right...  Just my two cents :)
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
But after all these years and taking peoples money,

See that's where you're incorrect. They haven't taken a dime of anyone's money until they have actually shipped the dash to the customer. All that they have right now is a long waiting list.

Yes that indicates a need but they won't see that until they can produce an actual product. And I wonder how many people on that waiting list have actually decided to stop waiting and just repair their dash themselves OR send it out to a pro to have them do it.

And a thing to remember - these repop dashes are only coming in black. It's the only color they've listed for years. So for those of us with different color interiors, we have to decide if its worth trying to dye/paint a black part to match the rest of our interior. I can say from experience on the Y88 that IF I had known how badly my repop sail panels would be chewed up, I wouldn't have purchased them and instead pursued a set of original GM parts that were already camel tan and just needed a coat of dye/paint to refinish. I will say for the 80 Firebird that any panel that needs to be replaced will have an original GM part in its place - interior is red.

IF they were to come out with other colors, I think I'd consider one. For now, I'll just repair the dash in the 80 after having spent $770 on Just Dashes to do the Y88 (that was a few years back and I've heard the price is now over $1k to do a dash).

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
I stand corrected on that.  I guess if they had taken peoples money there would be a definite LOUDER push to have these produced NOW.  I haven't dealt with any of the repop interior stuff yet.  I've only just begun my project, or restarted, or hell I don't know anymore.  Lol! but i'm sure i'll be dealing with that interoir issue soon enough.  :o
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
The years-long waiting list got really short, Brian.  I sold a 79 400 4-speed locally.  The guy ordered the dash last fall, and got it this February IIRC.  Most people had given up according to YearOne, and so new orders were filled pretty fast until they ran out of the first run.  BTW- we put it in last weekend and it fit great.

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
Question is Mike, how did it look and feel? Is it soft like the originals or harder like the caps?
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"