Author Topic: PHS  (Read 4975 times)

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
PHS
« on: May 26, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »
I sent for a PHS package for my car and it came today. I am somewhat dissapointed in the quality of the information I recieved. I dont think it was what was represented on their site. While some of the info was great I am not sure what value there is in a bad black and white copy of the color selection chart highlighting what color my car is!

Anyone else had similar results?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
PHS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:43:04 AM »
Everyone else has similar results..... it is all the same for every car.  What you got is what everyone gets.... sorry to say.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
PHS
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »
There is a lot of good info there but I just dont get the point of black and white pages with the color of your car highlighted, seems silly to me, plus they mention a promotional photo of the car and I didnt get that either.

I was thinking of getting the window sticker for the heck of it but now I am leary of what that will look like.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline evilways

PHS
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
yep...mine looks pretty unprofessional too, but I guess when they started this it wasn't meant for show circuit use.Some of the Mopar stuff I seen looks great, but I wonder to what cost .
peed limits....they're just suggesstions,..right?

Offline TRAN5AM

PHS
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 10:14:07 AM »
I received mine yesterday, and I too was underwelmed by the content. I was hoping the information would clear up one question I had...

Appearantly two 400 CID engines were available in 1978. This is designated by the Z in the VIN, however it could be either L78 or W72. The copy of the invoice in the packet shows color and options such as AC, power windows, etc., but where would it indicate the engine? There is a box labled HORSE POWER and shows 54.3, but that doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
PHS
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 10:51:48 AM »
TRAN5AM -- I received mine yesterday, and I too was underwelmed by the content. I was hoping the information would clear up one question I had...

Appearantly two 400 CID engines were available in 1978. This is designated by the Z in the VIN, however it could be either L78 or W72. The copy of the invoice in the packet shows color and options such as AC, power windows, etc., but where would it indicate the engine? There is a box labled HORSE POWER and shows 54.3, but that doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?

Mine shows the same 54.3 figure that you mentioned (I have a W72). Obviously that number is meant to denote something besides actual horse power. Not sure what it means though. The engine is listed on my PHS invoice as the second item in the column on the right half of the sheet. You would think that even it if was the base 400 engine it would still be listed but maybe the base 400 was assumed to be present and was not listed for that reason. That's speculation on my part though.

Mine is listed as follows:

W72 __ 6.6 LITER T/A (400) 4BBL V8 ENGINE ___________75.00___58.60
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -

Offline TRAN5AM

PHS
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »
Quote from: Zulu
W72 __ 6.6 LITER T/A (400) 4BBL V8 ENGINE ___________75.00___58.60

I don't have that line item, so I'm thinking maybe I have the L78.

Does anyone know there is a code I could read off the engine directly?
Steve Frey

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
PHS
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
The engine codes for the L78 in 1978 are either a YA or a YU.  They are located on the passenger side of the block just below the head.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline TRAN5AM

PHS
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:08:28 AM »
Thanks!
Steve Frey