Author Topic: Alternator Wires  (Read 2646 times)

Offline transamfan

Alternator Wires
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
I am hooking everything back up after doing my engine work and I don't know where these wires go.  I hooked up the clip that goes to the back of the alternator, but I had two other wires labeled alt that need to be bolted to a stud.  I figure one is a ground and the other is hot.  I can't put these on the same stud can I?  I don't see any other stud on the back of the alternator though.  Could I put the hot to the stud and the ground to any bolt holding the alternator on (if in fact that's what I have, a hot and a ground)?  Here is a picture of what I have.  One wire comes from the drivers side along with the oil pressure wire, and the other comes from the passenger side with the A/C stuff.

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Alternator Wires
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:16:36 PM »
The answer should actually come from a 403 guy, but IIRC I've seen more than one wire connected to the alternator and it was the way the factory intended.  What does the service manual indicate?  You should check your CDROM from Hitman and see -- best quick reference source of which I am aware! ;)

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure Rick is right. Neither of them is a ground. They should both go to the alternators main stud. One will go back to the battery and the other probably leads back towards the firewall.
Larry

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »
I have a question along the same lines as transamfan.  The plastic clip that holds the two wires together and plugs into the alt. is missing.  Does it make a difference which side either wire goes on?
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
I have a question along the same lines as transamfan.  The plastic clip that holds the two wires together and plugs into the alt. is missing.  Does it make a difference which side either wire goes on?

Ok, you're talking about the ones that plug into the side of the alternator, right? One will be red and one brown. Is that right? If so then yes it does matter. Best thing to do in that case is to go to Autozone or some other parts house and get a new plug. They should have them in stock. It will have short pigtails to connect the wires to so you know for sure you've got it right.
Larry

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:00:01 PM »
thanks.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline transamfan

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »
I have figured out that neither wire is a ground.  The manual showed a couple of wiring diagrams, one just showed one wire besides the clip and the other showed two (one was a ground) but the ground had a separate stud on the back of the alt.  That's why I was wondering. 

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »
Red wires wouldn't be ground.  Black is usually used for ground.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
I just rechecked my wiring doagram I have saved and it says one is for the battery like I said, it merges with the red wire that comes off of the plug in the side of the alternator and then goes to the pos. side of the battery. The 2nd one is for power to the A/C system.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:43:46 PM by SirLDragon »
Larry