Author Topic: CAN I USE A COMPLETE 79 HARNESS IN AN 80?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
CAN I USE A COMPLETE 79 HARNESS IN AN 80?
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »
I've found a good full harness donor, engine bay (front harness), main and rear harness......my car is so bad, the only way to figure this out is to start with a blank canvas.......... this thing is BAD.............. will the 79 work in my 80? The harness is from a 79 with a 400, which is the motor i have in mine (which wasnt offered in 80)..........i figured i'd ask the people who might know for definate if this might work........ what do y'all think? i cant see why it wouldnt, but then again...........

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: CAN I USE A COMPLETE 79 HARNESS IN AN 80?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
It also depends on all of the other options like power windows, power locks, crusie control, etc.  The tail harness will be the same and you should be good to go with the engine harness if you have a 400 from 1979.  You just have to watch out for the extras like the cruise and A/C and such.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
Re: CAN I USE A COMPLETE 79 HARNESS IN AN 80?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:44:39 AM »
thanks! The harness donor has the same options as mine...no locks, no windows and no a/c, no cruise........so all that jives, but my motor is a '77........... i will not be having any emissions hooked up, so will the year of the motors matter? I really need the interior harness to be swapped out, it's a nightmare....... to give you an idea, if i step on the brakes, i get one headlight very dim (like it's getting backfed somehow) one driving light, and the signal indicator lights up (one side only) and theres soooo many cut and spliced wires that it's just terrible......none of the gauges work, no horn, no lights no wipers... basically nothing electrical works the way it should...... except the motor runs.... i was hoping that if i just gutted the old wiring and started over that i could take care of all of that....... sooooo a '77 motor okay? Thanks again hitman!