Author Topic: wiper motor issues..........  (Read 4206 times)

Offline 1onehotTA

wiper motor issues..........
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »
Anyone notice if their wipers, are much faster on High than Low, mine has the pulse wipers, and this morning I ran to Mcds for breakfast and my wiper would not shut off, they would just jump around at the shut off point, I took the motor out (not at Mcds LOL) when I got home and turns out a ground wire goin right to the motor was like broken as if it had been attached somewhere.  With this wire off my wipers go reall fast but dont shut off or pulse, with this wire attached to ground, they work right, but dont seem tremendously fast, at least not too noticeable from low to high, but then of course the windshield was dry when i was doin this.  Any ideas or does that sound right?
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
wiper motor issues..........
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
They should be much faster on High versus low.  Wipers are covered in the body manual.  When the wipers won't turn off....it's because of a grounded wire (terminal 1 on wiper motor) to wiper switch.  I assume you fixed this and now you don't get a high speed....or not much of one.

There are two possible causes.....Defective wiper switch or a grounded wire (terminal 3 on wiper motor) to wiper switch.

But you should really check the Fisher Body Manual as there are tests with the motor off the car that can be performed.

There are two types of motors also.  They each have their own switch.  I think the second motor came out in 1980, but I'm not sure.  I'm also not sure if both motors were used after the second one came out.

The original wiper motor had a timing circuit stuffed on insulator board consisting of a coil, resister, cpacitior, transistor and two diodes.  The switch used three wires for the timing circuit, white, orange and green.

The new motor had a timing circuit laid out on a printed circuit board.  It had lots of parts.  The switch had one wire for the timing circuit....a green one.