Author Topic: Forum Owner - Take Notice  (Read 2751 times)

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Forum Owner - Take Notice
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »
This will have a huge negative impact on the internet and blog/forum owners, please read and consider contacting your representative...

-------------
 Here at Tom’s Hardware, you know we don’t typically get political because with the heated debates between AMD vs. Intel who needs Donkeys vs. Elephants?

We’ve got no agenda beyond providing the best hardware news and reviews we can dig up.  But here at Year’s end, there’s a subject we want to share with you that may come to affect how you experience us and the rest of the internet.  It’s called SOPA, or the “Stop Online Piracy Act”, and it is headed through U.S. Congress with its sister bill PROTECT-IP in the Senate.  SOPA threatens to fundamentally change the way information is presented online by placing massive restrictions on user-generated content like posts to forums, video uploads, podcasts or images.  In a nutshell, here’s what the law would do:

• Assign liability to site owners for everything users post, without consideration for whether or not the user posted without permission.  Site owners could face jail time or heavy fines, and DNS blacklisting.
  • It would require web services like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter to monitor and aggressively filter everything all users upload.
  • It would deny site owners due process of law, by initiating a DNS blacklisting based solely on a good faith assertion by an individual copyright or intellectual property owner.
  • It would give the U.S. government the power to selectively censor the web using techniques similar to those used in China, Malaysia and Iran.  The Great Firewall of China is an example of this type of embedded, infrastructural internet censorship.

As an example, imagine a user posts a video clip to the Tom’s Community of a step-by-step guide on how to set up water cooling on an overclocked i7 CPU.  Playing in the background behind the voiceover is “Derezzed” by Daft Punk.  The studio representing Daft Punk could issue a complaint, without being required to notify us or request a take-down.  Tom’s Hardware would be liable and prosecuted solely on a good faith assertion of the copyright owner, without notification, with the site operators subject to possible jail time for not preventing the video from being posted.  In short order, the http://www.tomshardware.com/ domain in the United States would no longer resolve to our servers and visitors attempting to come to Tom’s Hardware would be redirected to a “This site under review for piracy/copyright violations” page.

To conform to these new restrictions would mean that Tom’s Hardware would have to switch to a review/approval process for any and all new posts to our forums and articles.  Our community team would have to approve every single news comment, every new thread, and every new response before it went live and filter them for potentially infringing material.  Even so, we would still possibly be under threat from violations not caught – a user posting a paragraph from “Unix for Dummies” as an example or a snippet of software news from another website in excess of a certain summary threshold.  That’s just here on Tom’s.  The effect on sites like YouTube, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and the rest of the internet would be devastating, and progress and innovation would grind to a halt under the cumbersome new restrictions.

The intent of the legislation is to stop piracy, which isn’t affected in the least by this approach.  The DNS censoring method is circumvented by navigating to the IP directly, and many have already installed Anti-SOPA browser extensions that do this automatically.  Unfortunately the legislation in the House and Senate has a wide margin of bi-partisan support and looks likely to pass after the holidays.  We strongly oppose the censorship of the internet and strongly encourage you to contact your Congressional Representatives and Senators to voice your opposition.  Believe it or not, your Congress-critters do count the number of calls and emails they get on a particular issue, and most of the time only the people in their jurisdiction (read- you) can sway their opinion on something – so your action on this is important.

Please take a moment to contact your representative and tell them you oppose the PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House.  Here’s a link that can give you more information and provide you with contact info for your elected official.  Your action on this matters.

https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

Original article...
 http://www.tomshardware.com/news/toms-hardware-sopa-Stop-Online-Piracy-Act-PROTECT-IP-Senate,14393.html

Rich

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: Forum Owner - Take Notice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
Scare tactics like this are common and used on just about any House bill. They take something and blow it out of the water with scare tactics like "If the bill passes all sites and forums will be shut down !" which is just not true. Yes, the wording of the bill leaves things open, but they take that openess and blow it way out of proportion. Does the bill need to be better?... Yes. Will site like this one or Tom's Hardware be shut down if the bill passes?.... No. Yes, it is possible, but like a 0.000000001% chance of that actually happening. If you want some boring reading, you can read the entire bill here: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/text
If you focus on section 101 it states:
(A) the Internet site is used to provide goods or services to users located in the United States;
(B) there is evidence that the Internet site or portion thereof is intended to offer or provide--
   (i) such goods and services,
   (ii) access to such goods and services, or
   (iii) delivery of such goods and services, to users located in the United States;
(C) the Internet site or portion thereof does not contain reasonable measures to prevent such goods and services from being obtained in or delivered to the United States; and
(D) any prices for goods and services are indicated or billed in the currency of the United States.

They are directing this bill to larger site who "Pirate" music or videos, or other "intellectual" Property. But because of the poor wording, yes it does leave it open to just about anything. So is Tom's Hardware site going to be taken down because it has a video with music playing in the background....... Fat chance.

So should the bill be passed?.... No, but for reasons of poor wording and generalizations. Not because my site might be taken down because of it.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
I agree Brett, the concerning piece of this is that the website owner, technically, is much more liable with this bill.  I posted not to scare anyone but just to keep folks informed. Tom's Hardware has been around for years and is a very respectable site worldwide.  I kinda take what they say seriously.

Anyway, just looking out for you.
Rich

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »
This is crazy.
Why continue to regulate every little thing?
I heard on the radio that t.v. networks are going to be held responsible to filter the volume levels of commercials or be fined crazy money like $50,000 for every violation .
I personally think these elected fools should be put out of jobs.
Hit the unemployment line and struggle like the rest of us.
No New rules. No New laws. No New taxes For like 4-5 years.
Leave people alone and the world just try to enjoy life.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »
This is actually bigger than we think.  Some of the major companies in the US are thinking about....

"In the growing battle for the future of the Web, some of the biggest sites online -- Google, Facebook, and other tech stalwarts -- are considering a coordinated blackout of their sites, some of the web’s most popular destinations.

No Google searches. No Facebook updates. No Tweets. No Amazon.com shopping. Nothing.

The action would be a dramatic response to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), a bill backed by the motion picture and recording industries that the creators of some of the web's biggest sites argue could dramatically restrict law-abiding U.S. companies -- and reshape the web as we know it.

Such a move is drastic. And though the details of exactly how it would work are unclear, it's already under consideration, according to Markham Erickson, the executive director of NetCoalition, a trade association that includes the likes of Google, PayPal, Yahoo, and Twitter."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/30/will-google-amazon-and-facebook-blackout-net/
Rich

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
The general wording is what scares me, I trust the fed govt about as much as I trust my ex wife....well I might trust her a tad more.  Seems like there are so many more issues we should be concerned with.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress