Author Topic: '76 Limited Edition Gold Color  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Breaker

'76 Limited Edition Gold Color
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Am restoring a '76 LE and have gotten to the polycast wheels.  Was pointed to a great article from a post here that got me to OEM Paints.  Old paint charts point to Anniversary Gold as the gold trim color on these cars.  OEM says they can make that, but what they sell to most people is their own version which they describe as more of a green-gold than a red-gold like the Anniversary Gold.  Went on to say that the trim, stripes and wheels on these cars were rarely the same color gold in any event as they came from different suppliers along the way.

Wondering if any of you have gone through this and what you decided to do for the gold color on your car.  I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the colors, but would like all of the gold on the car to be the same when I am done, if that is possible.  In the end, the only way to do this may be to find someone who will paint all the stripes rather than use a decal set.

Appreciate any insights.

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: '76 Limited Edition Gold Color
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Need to talk to Hammer

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
I wouldn't bother with OEM Paints myself...you can get the correct shade of gold for your LE/SE mixed at a good paint store ( I use PPG)...and for much less $$. The paint for the rims is nothing special ...it is just paint after-all. As long as your surfaces are prepped correctly, you will be fine.

A good shop store can mix it for you using the following factory paint info:

Fisher WA Number 7015

DUPONT "Lucite" Code 44856L

Ditzler "DDL" Code 82352

The paint I used for the gold accents (grilles, rims, bezels, etc) on a '76 LE matched perfectly to the gold decals/pinstripes purchase from Phoenix Graphics...and all was a good match to factory coloring.
Hope this helps
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
OEM engine paint is awesome, I did my engine 13 years ago and it still looks fresh.I used another paint before duplicolor i think, and a foam engine cleaner streaked it.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Joe Bays does a nice job sorting out wheels.
http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/bandit/details.htm

He lists the paint colors too.