Author Topic: more painting questions...  (Read 3801 times)

Offline kitemare

more painting questions...
« on: December 20, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »
I've decided against painting my TA myself & have found a local painter that does a good job at a fair price. He is going to have the glass removed & stored & then send the car off to media blast it to strip it down to bare metal before beginning the body work & re-priming it.

My question is, now that I am totaly stripping the car down & starting over, does it hurt the value of the car to paint it a different color than what was stock? My car is Red & although It wasn't my first choice of color I bought the car because it had everything else that I wanted plus it was very clean with no rust problems.

My color choice would be to have a non-special edition stock black TA. Also, if I do paint it black then is there such a thing as different colors of black or are they all the same. I think I'll be getting my decals from Phoenix Graphics & they've told me that I need the Gold / Black decal as apposed to the Gold / Clear decal which is for the other colored cars. I don't want to have the two black's not match. Is there a specific color code that is a black 77 TA.

KM

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
As far as paint the car a different colr, I will say what I always say and is a recurring theme here.... do what you want with the car... it is YOUR car, YOU paid the money for it so YOU can paint it any color that you like.  As fas as the value of the car after the re-paint.... well, it goes both ways.  You loose a little value of the car because it is not original anymore, but in the same respect, you gain value of the car because you are painting it a more desireable color.  Alot more people want to buy a Black Trans Am than a red one.  But it all comes down to a personall prefference.  But again, it is YOUR car, do what you will with it and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
As far as the black paint, yes, there are different "shades" or black.  The black used in 1977 was called "Starlight" black and was pint code of 19.  I can get the actuall paint code if you need it.
Also, let me know when you need the decals, I can get them at a discounted price from Phoenix Graphix.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline kitemare

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:02:24 AM »
Thanks Brett, I'll give you a call about the decals after the holidays.

KM

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »
Like Brett has already stated, paint it what ever color YOU want. I repainted mine the factory paint code 77 (dark maroon metallic) because I like the color and you never see a T/A in that color anymore. If you have your heart set on a black T/A, go for it. At least you won't have to listen to "helpful" people telling you to paint it black.  :?
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline phishfud

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
It all depends on what you have. If you have a genuine Y88, then painting it any other color but gold would be detrimental to it's value. If yours is like mine, just a run of the mill 400 TA that was already non original, then do as you wish. I changed mine from gold to black, just because I always wanted a black TA, and mine was not an SE anyway. I really wanted it Martinique Blue, but since I was painting it myself, and had no experience in any type of metallic colors, I stuck with a solid, even though black ain't no picnic to do either. Just post some pics of your car's progress, and good luck.
78 TA, 400, 4spd.
88 GTA
72 Chevelle SS
70 Camaro
72 Demon
87 Conquest

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
As far as the black paint, yes, there are different "shades" or black.  The black used in 1977 was called "Starlight" black and was pint code of 19.

Actually there are no different shades of black for the 70-81 Pontiacs or for most cars, even though they may have different names. Looking in my PPG paint code book to verify this, they are all the same number, just straight black for all years. In the case of PPG, the paint code number is 9300, which is not something you have to get mixed up, but a straight black that you buy ready to go in a quart or gallon in whatever type of paint you intend to use, usually either single stage urethane or basecoat/clearcoat urethane nowadays.  I've found in my restoration work that black is just black(the 9300) on almost all cars, all the way back to the 50's.
Steve F.