Author Topic: A/C blower only works on high, coil is making ticking noise when it is on?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Fahad_Qatar

Hi everybody,

My A/C blower is only working on high, when I set it to low or mid the blower stops but the Air cmpressor keeps working. Can anyone advise how to fix this issue.

Also, I turn my key on I hear ticking noise from the car coil, I think it is producing spark. Is that normal ?

Fahad.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: A/C blower only works on high, coil is making ticking noise when it is on?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
Could be a couple of things.  Sounds like the resistor is shot.  But you could have some problems with the high blower relay.  Check in that order though.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
If high works, the relay is working too. The other 3 steps in the blower use  the switch in the cabin and a round 3 resister type board, it is part of the wiring for the high fan relay. It will simply look like a 4 wire harness going into the firewall AC system. You have to remove two screws to remove it to expose the resister wires. I think they point them inward so they are not exposed to the engine heat. I believe it only takes one of those resister wires to break to make the other 2 fail.  Ru62 is the replacement part on sites like rock auto and Amazon.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Fahad_Qatar

Thanks guys.

Iv'e bought the Ru62  but it did'nt fit as the original. the original resister is oval and it is red, t he Ru62 is not fully oval and leaks hot engine air into the blower housing. I tried covering the leak and started the a/c , but the fuse burned ::)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Take the old one with you to your favorite parts store (napa, autozone, etc...) and get a replacement that way. I found the part number Ru62 looking at rockauto for my year Firebird. The picture looks correct for my car: http://www.rockauto.com/info/154/RU62photo%20primary__ra_p.jpg

Which fuse burned? If a fuse is burning out every time you turn on the AC then you have a different problem.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
BTW Look at the old one, if none of the wires are broken then it is more likely fine.

Offline Fahad_Qatar

Thank you, I'll do that.

Offline Fahad_Qatar

The a/c and power window fuse.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Make sure that the idle stop solenoid wire isn't grounding out.  When you turn the A/C on it powers the idle stop solenoid.  It's the green wire with a black stripe.