Author Topic: 1978 wiper issue  (Read 4030 times)

Offline ljk

1978 wiper issue
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
I need some help with which wiper motor/pump required for 1978 firebird formula. I just bought this car and the wipers are not connected to the fluid jug and I don't see any pump to connect them to. 1) i don't know if I have pulse wipers-switch is just 2 speeds and you push the button in for wiper spray.2) is this car supposed to have the pump built onto the wiper motor? The wiper motor has no fluid end connections and reservoir doesn't have pump built into it. I have three wire connections coming out of firewall to wiper motor. I want to make sure I am putting original equipment back onto this car. Any help would be appreciated.Car is from California with 403cu. I have a 77 formula with pump in reservoir, but wiring is different then the 78

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: 1978 wiper issue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
Sounds like a previous owner may have swapped some parts around....if you have pulse wipers, the dash switch will indicate that...

as far as the pump, if it is not in the bottom of the reservoir, it should be built into the side of the wiper motor.
I have also seem aftermarket fluid pumps mounted to the inner fender.

As far as what it came with originally, a buildsheet or papers from PHS will tell you that
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline ljk

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:26 PM »
I have the build sheet, but don't know where or what I am looking at to tell me the proper set up. I have an MVMA specs sheet and it looks to me like the only set up for 79 was Electric:pump mounted on fluid container, yet I see motors with pumps build into them for sale for this year also and that is why I am wondering what the proper set up was supposed to be so I can make it the proper set up that it is supposed to have from stock. Thanks

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
Two speed wiper switch would indicate non pulse.  The pump can either be in the washer bottle or the wiper assembly depending on what type you have.  Does your washer bottle have a pump at the bottom?  If not, your motor should have the pump in it.  You can replace those wiper motors pretty cheaply.

Offline ljk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
No pump in the reservoir, but it has been changed. The motor has also been changed and doesn't have the pump built into it either. Who ever did the work forgot to install the pump at either end. My real question is what set up is the proper set up for this 78 formula? Am I reading the MVMA spec's sheet correctly in that all 78's had the pump in the reservoir? I would like to make sure I am putting the proper set up back into this car as everything is stock and in place other than the windshield washer pump. Thanks for the help so far

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
My four speed has the pump in the reservoir.  You should be able to tell from your wiring harness.  If you have a connection for the pump that runs down the inner wheel well, you had the pump in the reservoir.  If the wiring is short and is routed towards the wiper motor, you had the pump along with the wiper motor.  Post a picture of your wiring and we should be able to tell.

Offline ljk

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
I finally stripped off the covering on the harness and found the wires cut off in the harness. wires were cut off right where the pump would be installed in the reservoir, so that helps me with what I need to install. Thanks for all the help, hate when something that should be simple makes you pull your hair out! Any suggestions on a web site I could go to find the reservoir with pump built into it?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
They are sold as 2 separate pieces...most all of the parts suppliers will carry the reservoir.

You can buy the pump at most auto parts stores.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline bobsformula

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:04 AM »
Hello, I'm kinda new here so please be patient..lol I'm working on a '78 TA/Formula shell, no engine or tranny, no interior and no wiring. I have all new wiring harnesses and have them installed.I'm having trouble trying to hook up the pulse wiper system. The car had a original GM wiper motor that does not work. I was told that the motor was a pulse unit and the washer pump has 3 terminals. My '81 has a 2 speed motor and 2 terminals on the pump with a third wire (Green) that's not hooked up. I bought a new pulse motor for the '78 and the new pump has 3 terminals. Now I have a pulse switch with the normal plug for the motor and 3 more wires comming out of it yellow, green, orange going into a flat plug with orange, green, brown comming out of it. As I stated the new pump has 3 terminals on it, where or how does the orange, green, brown wires from the switch connect to the pump?  I was told that the orange wire goes to he fuse box but don't know about the green or brown wire because the pump has 3 terminals on it. The '78 has no wash jug at all. I would be greatfull for any help.