Author Topic: Ohhh this car is driving me crazy... Dash lights kinda work......  (Read 1745 times)

Offline White77TA

Scenario: 77 Trans Am, dash lights come on, but only at brightest setting AND both turn signal arrows are on.  Okay, we install a new headlight switch, only difference is now 1 arrow is off (signals do work, no bulbs out) Close door of car to find when the interior lights go out, so do the speedo and tach lights!!!! Twist the light knob, and no interior lights if door is closed..... @$#%^@$#&%*!!!!

So, in short, mt dask lights only work on brightest setting with the door open...
and.... interior lights only come on with the door open

My first T/A and it is driving me insane.....

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ohhh this car is driving me crazy... Dash lights kinda work......
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
Your dash lights must be grounded through the white wire.  You're going to have to trace the ground wires from pin 2 of the white cluster connector back through your harness.  The white wire, the one that is the switch ground from the courtesy lights....gets grounded when you open the door.  When you close the door, the ground is lost, which turns off the courtesy lights.  I would imagine that somehow, you're dash lights are getting grounded from that circuit.

Offline oboogie80

• Jeff
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »

So, in short, mt dask lights only work on brightest setting with the door open...
and.... interior lights only come on with the door open

You could just unplug the interior lights and drive around with the door open.LOL  Hopefully you don't have a man. tranny. LOL LOL
  You'll get it fixed. I'm sure.
say hello to my little friend
!978 Y88  W72   WS6

Offline White77TA

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
ta78w72 , I knew you would come to the rescue!!!! I'll start looking this week. Thanks

oboogie80, My option was to remove the doors, they are only dead weight.

Offline oboogie80

• Jeff
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:33:41 PM »
lol lol lol
say hello to my little friend
!978 Y88  W72   WS6