Author Topic: Key problems in ignition PROBLEM RESOLVED  (Read 4653 times)

Offline skibrow

• New Jersey
Key problems in ignition PROBLEM RESOLVED
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:11:30 PM »
Ok heres the deal, I have not touched my 78 Ta in two years due to an injury. My son has a 79 Z28 which has been parked right next to it for the same amount of time. Both cars have been covered and both are parked on asphalt. We went outside today and uncovered them and went to move them and try to do some minor repairs to them but when we went to start them both, we had the same problem with both cars. We put the keys in the ignition and the keys would turn just out of the lock position and freeze. They would not turn to start and would not go back to accessory either. I know we had the proper keys in the proper cars and my TA had the ignition switch tumbler assembly replaced right before I got injured so I know it worked previous. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so how do you correct it? Do I need to have the tumblers replaced again or is there a linkage in the columns or something that could be binding this up. I think its strange that both cars are doing the same thing, but then again they both sat the same amount of time. By the way they are both automatics if it matters. Any help would be appreciatewd.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:35:24 AM by skibrow »

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Key problems in ignition
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »
Are you saying the wheel would unlock or not unlock?  It the wheel won't unlock, have you tried moving the wheel against the lock "stop" and then turning the key?  I've seen some situations where the wheel itself wouldn't unlock because it was jammed against the lock stop.

If that's not the case, then did you try unlocking it enough to get the tranny out of "P"?  It could be the same thing with the transmission -- the lock is an anti-theft thing and works the same as with the wheel (hence the "interlock" thing). :-\

Offline 784mula

• Ohio Firebirds
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/784MULA
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »
Good point Rick. Know that you mentioned it, I had my wheels turned & had trouble getting the key out & I just moved the steering wheel the opposite way to take the slack out & it worked.

1978 FORMULA 1st place 2007 TA NATS Stk Class
1977 FORMULA (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline skibrow

• New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Are you saying the wheel would unlock or not unlock?  It the wheel won't unlock, have you tried moving the wheel against the lock "stop" and then turning the key?  I've seen some situations where the wheel itself wouldn't unlock because it was jammed against the lock stop.

If that's not the case, then did you try unlocking it enough to get the tranny out of "P"?  It could be the same thing with the transmission -- the lock is an anti-theft thing and works the same as with the wheel (hence the "interlock" thing). :-\
 Yes Tryed that. I got the key in both to turn just enough to unlock wheel and alllow me to move shifter into nuetral to roll both cars. Can not get either to turn any further than that though.Even when cars are in Neutral they still will not turn. Thanks for the reply

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:23:31 AM »
Have you tried moving the column itself near the dash?  I know when I first got mine the anti-theft mechanisms had been disconnected and therefore the column itslef was freely moving.  I had to move it by hand into the right position for it to work.  I'll take a pic if this is too vague an explanation.
Rich

Offline skibrow

• New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
Rich, That piece seems to move slightly when I try to move the shifter. So I believe that they are both free. I was just looking over the manuals on the steering column and am starting to wonder if the tumbler housings can actually seize inside the column. I may try giving one of them a few whacks with a block of wood and see what happens. Otherwise looks like I will be pulling apart two columns this time.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:01:55 AM »
Sorry to hear that, ya, when you move the shifter the column part I'm talking about should move.  you might attempt to move that piece by hand clockwise and then attempt to turn your key.  This will move the column into the position that allows the key to move freely.  If that doesn't work then the problem is out of my league :(
Rich

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
The first thing I thought of is what Rick said.  Next, did you try some lubricant?  Then try the key again and move the steering wheel at the same time.  The key locks on the 78 and 79 are different and they disassemble differently.

Offline skibrow

• New Jersey
Re: Key problems in ignition PROBLEM RESOLVED
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
Ok guys thanks for your help. I resolved the problem. I don't know if this is the proper place to put the repair procedure so if its not I appologize and Hitman feel free to move it again.
 First I removed the steering wheel using a bolt type puller. Then I removeed the plastic shield that goes over the turn signal switch.This just clips on and easily popped off with a screwdriver. Then I tryed the key again to see if I could see what was going on. I noticed that the Pin that interlocks with the steering wheel lockout ring was not moving. I tryed lubricating it to no avail. I then tapped the pin with a punch and as it got driven down into the hole the key turned on its own. PROBLEM FOUND. Now to free up that pin was another thing. I kept lubricating it and tapping it with the punch until I could feel a little "bounce" in the punch. At this time I got a block of wood and laid it against the side of the column where the pin slides up and down. I then tapped the wood with a hammer until the pin proceeded to rise again. Then I just kept repeating the procedure until the pin moved freely. wd40, punch to knock it in, tap wood to drive it out,wd40 punch, tap wood. pretty soon pin was moving freely with the key and would come all the way up to go between the lockout ring on steering wheel lock. Replaced plastic shield, steering wheel and horn button, tested and it now works like new. Thanks for everyones assist on this and hopefully my problem will help someone else down the road. Hopefully its the same thing on my sons car as well.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
If you would have gone a little deeper and pulled the cover, you would have seen how the lock bolt operates.  It sounds like the gears were our of mesh.

Offline skibrow

• New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
I Think it was just seized from sitting. It was fine when I parked it two years ago lol. Oh well at least it works now.

Offline 78trans1

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
Glad to see you solved your problem. But next time, save some time in dismantling, get out of

the car and give the column one good F$#@ kick! ;D
"I actually like looking at other cars, they look real nice in the rear view mirror"