Author Topic: Body Bushing  (Read 5701 times)

Offline 80indypace

Body Bushing
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »
Looking underneath my T/A right under the driver and passenger floor pan I saw rubber bushing that are worn out (flatten). Anyone has an idea and easy way to change the bushing?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Body Bushing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
well you can either do all four at once which means drop the subframe or you can pull one at a time i havent ever tried the front ones with the frame on the car but the rears are possible....just pull the bolt and then the bushing, youll most likely need new bolts too...just a heads up..
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 80indypace

Body Bushing
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
If I understand you correctly, just take out all four bolts and the subframe will come out?  Or I have to jack up something.. Is there any tension on the sub frame that I needed to be aware of?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Body Bushing
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
well if you take out all four at once you might have problems unless you support everything else that is tied to the subframe, core support , and bumper, and all the fuel lines,brake lines...etc.... but those are the only two ways i know of doing it...unless someone else has any input...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline hesster

Body Bushing
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »
Fronts - jack the vehicle up under both rockers on the body frame.  Support the front sub frame anywhere up front.  Loosen the 2 large front bolts, check to ensure the subframe is not moving before you remove the bolts all the way (loading the bolts).  Stick some drift pins into the alignment holes next to the bolt to understand how the subframe is aligned to the body frame.  Then, either jack up the body more or lower the front of the subframe until you can remove the biscuits.  Replace with a stock part, or I went to thinner solid aluminum bushing to eliminate the chassis flex.  Before assembling and tightening the bolts, make sure the subframe is aligned by using the drift pin in the holes.  Rears are done by tilting and supporting the subframe in the opposite direction.

Offline 80indypace

Body Bushing
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 11:34:52 PM »
I think that might be too dangerous for me to attempt.  I am not very familiar with it at all.

Offline 81BlackTA

Body Bushing
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:20:04 PM »
Its really not that hard to do. When I did mine, I just did one at a time. By the way, you can buy a polyurethane set for a fraction of the cost of a complete set of factory ones. It will ride a little stiffer, but helps a bit with the handling as well.
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G1 Heads
XR264HR Comp Cam and valve train
Performer intake
TH350 3:08 posi
4 Wheel Disc

Offline dazeakamike

Body Bushing
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »
all of yours really went that easy !? I just did mine... and let me tell you, 2 of the 4 gave me a run for my money... had to pull out both wheel wells because the boxs that hold the nuts bent up and the nut was just spinning. Lucky for me, i was able to fold the box back down with a crow bar and hold it down while it hit it with an impact gun.
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !