Author Topic: Engine id  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Kieranforinton

Engine id
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:38:00 AM »
Hi guys, New to forum so hi.

I have put a deposit on a 78 trans am.

I decoded the vin using the info on this site and the car was a 305ci originally. It is now a 400 apparently. The seller "can't find" the engine number.I thought I will post a photo on the engine id section and see if you guys can id it for me. Based on the research I have done Google images it looks like the Pontiac 400...

Zw87W9N100240 is the VIN.

I will add a photo in a few mins when I have sorted my photobucket.

Kieran

Offline Kieranforinton

Re: Engine id
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:53:32 AM »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Get him to send the VIN again, it's incorrect or possibly, depends what the car is meant to be.

2W87W9 comes up as a 301-powered 79 TA. I can't tell from the photo if the car is a 79 as there is none of the rear end. It has 79 flares and possibly 79 rear spoiler ends, can't be sure. So if correct, it's a 79 with a 78 front end, common swap. The other reason for not being able to find the engine number is that he knows it's a 301 still. But I can't tell that from the photo, so just saying it may help to double check some casting numbers.

Either way the number is just under the head where the paint is missing, hope it all checks out, looks like it has some potential.

http://www.78ta.com/images/400engineid1.JPG

http://www.transamflorida.com/ENGINE55.jpg

Offline Kieranforinton

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
Hi Aus,

Thanks, I was wondering about the 9 in the VIN suggesting a 79 car.

Also starting to wonder about the seller...

Any opinion on what effect on value the front end swop and non matching numbers could have?

Assuming it is a 400?

It's really hard to price in uk as there are so few that come up for sale.

If it is not a 400 I will walk away.

Thanks again

Kieran

Offline Kieranforinton

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:35:57 PM »
Also , I have just remembered there is a "GM 6" stamped on the top of the inlet manifold, not sure if thateans anything, have not seen reference to that anywhere on the engine numbers section.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »
No problems. I'm not that good on the Pontiac engine details so can't help with the castings. I'd have thought a guy that had the engine rebuilt would know the details but then he didn't know where the engine number was either.

Offline 76Tranz

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 05:37:41 PM »
If you look behind the fuel pump (Pontiac motor) and under #1 cylinder exhaust port, it is stamped from the factory in large type letters "400", "455", etc.... on the side of the block. If you reach under there with your hand and press your fingers real hard, it will leave an imprint of the numbers on your fingers and then you can tell which motor is in the car. I know it sounds goofy, but it works and I do it all the time when I find a Pontiac out in the fields and can't crawl under them to look.

Offline Kieranforinton

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
Hi 76 trans.

Thanks for the info.

Saw the car and it is a 400 yt code so an early engine. managed to scrape enough paint off to reveal the code on the front of the block. I didn't take the car as there was a disagreement on value. Still discussing with the seller.

Will be back with lots of questions when I buy one (this or something similar).

Kieran