Author Topic: Spark plug wires  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Detector

Spark plug wires
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:28 AM »
OK, so I go to O'Rilleys to get plugs, wires, cap and rotor and tell the guy its a 1977 Trans Am with a 400. Everything fits fine except for the plug wires. I look at the shortest wire and no way will it fit to the closest plug. Way too short. I go back and have the guy double check the application and he says they are the right wires.

So, I go to Autozone thinking the wires must have been mis-packaged and thought I'd compare them to a set from Autozone. If the ones from Autozone fit I'd just return the others. The ones from Autozone were the same. Comparing the closest plug to the shortest wire and the wire was too short. In fact the shortest wire would have reached from the distributor to any plug.

Am I missing something here?

Offline 6.6 litre T/A 78

Re: Spark plug wires
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
I changed all mine, but I got the one`s you cut and put together yourself

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
Changing Spark plug wires is some sort of an aquired form of art. LOL

Most wire makers have the approach that one set will fit many, many applications therefore saving them costs on manufacturing. The drawback is to the consumer. You end up with a set of wires that maybe have just a little extra or just a little bit shorter than the factory wires. You have two choices at this point. Custom fit wires where you cut them to the correct length and crimp the connectors on or the generic one size fits most.

I usually choose the generic set and there are a few tips that will help with the installation. The length of the wires are based on the factory setting of the distributor cap and will usually fit best if the engines is wired/timed using the original #1 position on the cap. The wires are also made taking into consideration the factory loom positions. I know this will be a PIA but make sure the timing is right so that the #1 terminal on the cap is position to be the #1 plug wire. Then lay out all of the "new" wires and arrange them by length. You may have 9 wires in your "generic" set one being really short like for a ford or something with an external coil. If so, that wire will not be used in your application.

I usually start with the shortest wire and use it where it fits best. Usually ends up being #8 or #6. Typically # 2 cylinder will require the longest wire since it routes behind the cap and all the way to the right front of the engine. If the original looms/wire holders are missing look at pictures of original cars to get an idea of how the wires were routed. Trial and error will get you there and you'll have a much cleaner looking engine compartment. Be sure you understand how to set timing and the wiring order before yanking wires and the distributor.
BTW, My wire set came from O'Reileys and they fit great. It took about three hours to change them because I had to time the engine, install original wire holders, lift the AC compressor out of it's brackets, etc. But the finished product looks really great.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Detector

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »
I worked in retail auto parts(CarQuest) for 5 years and in most cases if something didn't fit either you got the wrong info about the vehicle, got the wrong part or it was boxed wrong. I saw the computer screen at Autozone and it listed only one number for the 77 trans am. Its pretty obvious that these wires could never fit this motor because the shortest wire doesn't even reach from the back plug to the distributor.

I suppose my only option is the make it yourself set but I just hate thinking there is something else there. Especially since you say your worked.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
I was digging through my receipts to find the part number for the wires, hoping we could compare, and then I remembered that I took the set back to O'Reily's. They had straight boots on the plug end and I wanted to use the 90 degree elbow type. I ended up getting a set for a chevy picup with a 350. Sorry the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.

You could very well have a boxed wrong part. It does happen. A set of made up wires for your car will fit and look better if the intended # 1 on the cap is used and the original looms. There are some really nice aftermarket looms out there that look super and allow you to hug the motor really close at the back and bottom of the head should you decide to use custom fit wires. Best of luck.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!