Author Topic: glue used on vinyl  (Read 805 times)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
glue used on vinyl
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
So I glued my automotive vinyl with automotive 3M spray glue. It caused the vinyl to bubble very badly. Does anyone know why this happened?

I quickly grabbed a heat gun and started massaging the bubbles down as much as I could to get the vinyl to smooth out. This took me well over an hour. Then I put a cardboard box on it and a bunch of heavy objects to keep them from rising. It seems like it will be able to be used but now i am afraid to attempt this on my headliner. Any suggestions?

I applied a thin coat to both surfaces per instructions. It seems to have bonded well but the initial problem was not something I want to go through again.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: glue used on vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
did you allow it to tack up before mating the two together? most likely a chemical reaction creating air bubbles..... same thing happened to a package tray i did for a chevelle, but with some pressure and time you can work em out....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
yes. I let it set for ten minutes. If this is normal then i guess I will just have to makes sure I stick with the massaging. It was the package tray this happening to. I guess all I can do is try it again.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
take a kitchen rolling pin to it, it really helps work it out....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....