Author Topic: Classic Auto Air A/C system  (Read 7747 times)

Offline BlackTransAm

Classic Auto Air A/C system
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
Has anyone ever installed on of these, they say they work great, but of course if you make it your going to say that.
 I would like to hear consumer opinions. I have a 403 Olds and want to go back to stock if I can find all the brackets
and parts. But I am curious as to whether these works as good as reported.
 If you have, did you use their new condenser or your original?
Thanks for any info.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Classic Auto Air A/C system
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
Reed, as mentioned offlist, while they sell an Oldsmobile kit, I have yet to see one fitted to a sample vehicle for photos. Like the one in this sample is still a Pontiac engine so hard to compare what you are getting or how it may look if after something that appears stock.

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
I agree , thats why I asked if anyone ever tried these or how good they work/LAST

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »
Well it is a newer compressor which will definately be much more effcient for the system, definately wont look stock, I dont know of anybody that has installed this kit. I am running a full vintage air kit on mine. and it pumps out lots of cold air...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »
I have not found anyone either, their testomonials dont even have an opinion or another vehicle with it installed
It uses a threaded tube with bolt through it to tighten it, seems a little weak

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Factory's hooked up that way, takidd455 might have that system, I know he is running something different, but not 100% sure what
Eroc

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
On Olds it's not, no threaded tensioner, have to use bar of sorts to stretch compressor belt and then lock up bolts. Not familiar with other engines.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
Oh nvm I was thinking something else..... That's a good tensioner if used properly
Eroc

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
You would use your original condenser, unless you want to buy their new improved condenser. But, it should work with your condenser, and the rest of your original a/c parts. You'd need a new accumulator, which I think comes with the kit, along with hoses, compressor and compressor brackets. An Olds setup shouldn't look much different from the Pontiac setup. From what I see, I like the kit, and will get one when I work on my a/c again. I haven't had much luck keeping the rebuilt original compressors going for long, so I don't want to even put an original A-6 back on again. The more modern Sanden compressor is used on aftermarket a/c units, and I've put many of them in older cars, and have not had a failure. The Sanden is smaller and lighter, and can withstand high rpms.
Steve F.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
When doing a search the other day, prob when chatting to Reed offlist, found a newer, lightweight modern long compressor but with larger front and rear so that it was a direct replacement for any A6 application and use the stock brackets. That's the direction I'd head if I had all the brackets already, that's half the battle, but with improved compressor.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
That is an interesting option. Thanks for mentioning it. I noticed it's an Old Air product, so I found the page on their website here: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/compressors/gm-replacement-compressor-c-1_50000000_57000000_120132081.html
Steve F.

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Here is the mount for 403 , what do you think of it?  http://www.classicautoair.com/downloads/compressormounts/06-800.pdf

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
Here is the mount for 403 , what do you think of it?  http://www.classicautoair.com/downloads/compressormounts/06-800.pdf

I've been talking to Curtis at Classic Auto Air; he seems very helpful. I also have the 403, and I think I'm going to go with the kit for around $800 once I get my motor back in my car. It includes the hard lines, the compressor, accumulator and the condenser. He said that the condenser had several more passes and was much more efficient than the old unit.

I also asked him since the compressor mount is on the front of the head and doesn't seem to encroach the valve covers, if I could use a raised valve cover. I can't recall if he gave me a straight answer on that...

Next time I talk to Curtis I'm going to bust on him for the misspelling of compressor in that pdf Reed posted  :P

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
Ask them for some pics of it installed on a 403, and some 3rd party testimonials, real people