Author Topic: Alternate VIN locations  (Read 16624 times)

Offline dazeakamike

Alternate VIN locations
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:39:11 AM »
I have an 80 firebird and i was wondering if anyone knew of any hidden VIN locations. I heard rumor that there is one on the right front side of the car, on top of the frame rail and one under the heater box.... i do not know how true this is. I found a number stamped into the body near the middle body bushing on the pass side... any ideas on what this number means ? The numbers look they were done with one of those punch style stamps... each nuber has a square around it.
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
There are four spots on your car that the VIN number is located.  The first is of course up on the dash visible through the windshield.  The second is on the engine on the lower passenger side of the block.  The third is on the transmission on the drivers side.  And the fourth is behind the heater box ( there is actually two back behind the heater box.... so does that count as 5?).  So that is the only places that you will find a VIN number for your car.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
I thought there was one on the top of the frame under the passengers side floorpan. I've never looked on the subframe to verify. Or, is that one of the two you mention behind the heater box? Just curious?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline dazeakamike

Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
sweet.... motor gone... trans gone... will check around heater box i understand this is prob a noob question but do i have to pull it to see it ?
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !

Offline Eagle 1

Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:32:25 PM »
will check around heater box i understand this is prob a noob question but do i have to pull it to see it ?

Yes, you will also have to remove the right side inner fender if you havent done so.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Luv-my-78-TA

vin numbers
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 02:21:08 AM »
:roll:  :o

I purchased my 1978 trans am last summer. Would you look in the same place as quoted for the 1980?

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 08:18:26 AM »
Yup, VIN locations on a 78 should be same as an 80
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
Probably been asked a million times....how can you check to see if your engine number matches? Is there a section of the serial number that should be the same as VIN or perhaps on the build sheet. My build sheet was found in bits so hard to make out half of it.
Ben

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 09:58:45 AM »
not 100% sure but its supposed to be stamped onto the block...not the full thing just the like last 8 digits or something, (the body number)
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 03:06:30 AM »
Thanks for that, time to get out the degreaser and small mirror!
Ben

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »
Wait a minute....is it a separate stamped number or is it the back half of the Engine number that should match the back half of the VIN number?
cheers,
Ben

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
It's just the last portion of the VIN that matches the numbers on the transmission and engine.  It's the sequence number.  Mine is 118002.  I've always wondered how they got all this to match during assembly.  It must be magic!  

If any of you guys pull the heater box to get the VIN, change the heater core and blower motor while you're at it.  Oh, and change the little orange vaccum line that comes out of the box becaue that gets brittle and breaks apart over time.

Offline Eagle 1

Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
The vin number on the engine is located on the front of the engine.  As you are looking at it from the front, it will be just to the left of the timing chain cover.  You will probably need a mirror and flashlight to see it.
Here is a picture of mine to help you visualize it.  You can see the timing chain on the right of the picture since I had my timing chain cover off when I took the picture.  However, it will NOT be necessary for you to remove the timing cover to see the vin number.  You will probably have to scrape off some paint and grime to see it.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »
Thanks Eagle 1,
I have an olds 403, is the location similar? Also, still trying to verify if the VIN on the engine is the same or separate to the engine number. I know from registration papers that the engine number and VIN don't match.
Ben

Offline Eagle 1

Alternate VIN locations
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
Sorry, Im not sure about the Olds 403.  I would assume that it would be in the same location.   Let us know what you find.