Chrome Guard
1 (4.8%)
Custom T/A Guard
13 (61.9%)
OTHER
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: January 19, 2009, 02:45:20 PM

Author Topic: Splash Guards  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Splash Guards
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
 I have noticed in members pics of thier T/A that some opt to install splash guards. I see pros and cons to installing them. They reduce wear on paint near the wheel opening, add a touch of customization to the car. BUT most require drilling for installation, create a point that dirt and water build up causing a potential rust area...

I have purchased several sets over the years plus have some given to me as gifts... they range from the flashy chrome units ( which are really small and dont see how they protect the panel) to the Custom T/A (bird emblem), generic black plastic.

Curious to see other members thoughts on these little add ons.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Splash Guards
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
What?  No vote for the one with the naked girls cutout of chromed metal on them? ??? ???

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:15:09 PM »
What?  No vote for the one with the naked girls cutout of chromed metal on them? ??? ???

LOL... how stupid of me not to include that one... edited it in as OTHER...
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Mark C.

• Marks Specialty Coatings
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
rarebird,

I've heard of guys making gaurds from clear plastic (for lack of a better word), and attaching them with those "purse clips" you can but at Staples. The back is easy, but not sure how they attach them to the front.
Happiness IS: Drag Racing

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
Virgil--

Of the three second generation Trans Ams I own, two (the '76 and the '79) have splash guards installed on them.    Both cars had the guards installed by previous owners and I never bothered to take them off...I originally was not crazy about them, but I am now a firm believer in having them after what happened to me in the '73 a few years ago.

I was leaving a car show and, go figure, my right foot was feeling a little heavy that day for some reason.  I was on a surface street and got on it only to run over a piece of baling wire with the right front tire which kicked it up onto the right rear fender flare and scored the paint down to the primer.  I'm convined if I'd had the spash guards on the car, it wouldn't have happened.

Okay, so maybe I deserved it...but what's the fun in having a 455 ci under the hood if you don't get on it once in a while?  Besides, I'm addicted to the sound of the Quadrajet at WOT trying to suck the windshield down the throat of the open hood scoop.

Regarding trapping dirt/moisture and causing rust issues, we don't seem to have that problem too much in Dallas. ;)

Here's a photo of the '76:

Tinman5
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 04:01:16 PM »
Virgil,

Mine has GM black ones with "Pontiac" in chrome on the bottoms.  The original owner had them installed at the dealer before he brought it home.  Over the years the chrome has worn off, but they have done a great job protecting the paint and I don't have any rust or corrosion on the car at all.  I can take some pictures of them when I get home if you want to see them?  Just let me know.  I'm in Texas right now and don't have any pictures on me.

Bill
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline ta collector

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »
i have the black ones with Trans Am in white lettering on them,they seem to help alot as far as perventing rock chips.
1967 firebird
1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary
1979 TATA
1991 Trans Am GTA
2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #1358
2008 G8 GT
1972 Chevy C/10

Offline grenggli

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
I have the original GM ones with Trans am in white lettering.  I like the looks of them.  I have not driven the car much yet since I just installed them after painting the vehicle just before winter hit, but I would say that the benefits outweigh the potential issues.  If you are worried about dirt and water getting into a drilled hole, there are products that you could use to seal around the screw to keep that from happening.  Try a good 3M black slilicone product.

Greg
1981 Blk & Gold Pontiac TTA with  455 SE clone--sold
1978 Silver Pontiac TA with BB 454 (sold)
1989 Maui blue Pontiac Firebird Formula--sold
1988 Flame Red Pontiac GTA 5.0TPI 5spd T-tops-sold
1993 Burgundy Z28 Camaro LT1 Auto hardtop==sold

Offline Helter80

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
Virgil, when i first got my T/A repainted, i did not have the splash guards on it for about 4 years. then last year i decided to put them on to prevent the dirt that gets onto the lower part of the fender, etc. i did that and it make a dramatic difference. i was hesitant to put them on the car at first, but i actually like it both ways. with AND without.
Here's some pics for before and after. I have the black guards with Pontiac written in silver chrome. i bought them off of Brett last winter.
-Rob

www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »
Virgil,
while I currently do not have them on my car, I want to get a set with TRANS AM on them (ya, hard to find if not impossible).  I think they are great looking and certainly help protect the paint from debris chips.
Rich

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »

How about a naked Erin Gray on the splash guard. ;D

The splash guards I have on my T/A are chrome with a 3 inch piece of rubber on the bottom. They were the only one's I could find back in the day that provided metal clips so not drilling was needed. I took me a year or so to find them, so I do have a few chips in the paint. Since then...no chips. :) IMHO, it's worth installing splash guards.

Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »
I really like splash guards, kinda balances the look of the wheel flairs.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »
I have them on my car to protect the paint and such from rubber and road debris.  I think they are worth it.  The screws come with a rubber protective coating on them so when you screw them in it helps to protect against the rust issues you are concerned about.  I have the black flaps with "Pontiac" on the back and the black flaps with the Firebird logo on the front.

I also sell them in my website store here:

Firebird Logos: http://www.78ta.com/store/product.php?productid=16269&cat=258&page=1

"Pontiac" Name: http://www.78ta.com/store/product.php?productid=16268&cat=258&page=1
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
Virgil,
while I currently do not have them on my car, I want to get a set with TRANS AM on them (ya, hard to find if not impossible).  I think they are great looking and certainly help protect the paint from debris chips.

I think I have a set for you.  I will take photos.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline gregsblue78t/a

• under restore now
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
i always thought that they were a factory opp