Author Topic: 1978 w72 trans am rpo codes  (Read 4743 times)

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
1978 w72 trans am rpo codes
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
Hello

I need some help figuring out a couple rpo codes i got off a copy of the dealer invoice from phs. one code is y92 "lamp group". the other is un9 "radio accomodation package".

I cant find any matches to these codes. If someone has any info on what these mean that would be great. what radio was it & what does the lamp group mean?

also i found that my car is actually a ws6!! but I am confused as all the info I have says ws6 includes 15x8 snowflake wheels. my car did not have these from what i was told by previous owners, more importantly the underside of the deck lid does not have the "aluminum wheel" decal. it has the jacking instruction decal & looks like original paint. were aluminum snowflakes optional with ws6 cars? or maybe my 15x8's were just stolen off the car early in it's life....

thanks for all the help.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:32 PM »
Y92 LAMP GROUP
(Replaced by TR9 in 1979) This included floor courtesy lamps, glove compartment lamp, and trunk lamp. These were all coded separately on the build sheet, but were not available separately. Again, seems like one would have been enough.

UN9 RADIO SUPR. G UN9 was a pay-extra option called the "radio accommodation package". This came free with a radio, but was a pay-extra option if you didn't get a radio. From the abbreviation, UN9 on build sheets refers to the noise suppression capacitors on your alternator, fusebox, and blower motor.
For invoice purposes, UN9 included the windshield antenna (U76). The antenna is always coded separately on build sheets. After 1979, you could also opt for a power antenna (U75) for extra money.  Back to Top

also if you have any more ill re-direct you to here : http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/bingo.htm#top
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »
thanks for the great info. so does that mean my car didnt have a radio? it says it was a $26.00 charge on my dealer invoice. based on what you stated it was only charged without a radio, correct?

also "cd4 wipers controlled cycle" is that pulse wipers??

still cant find the build sheet, not behind or under rear seats. the carpet was replaced before i owned it so i assume it's not under front seats. can only hope its under the tank, i'll drop that pretty soon. hope it's there!!!

pretty neat this car was ordered with no "luxury" options. no a/c. no power windows/locks, no radio. nothing but performance, w72, ws6 & a hood bird! besides pulse wipers & some fancy courtesy lights this was a go fast t/a!

thanks again for the help on the codes. any other ideas for the build sheet location??
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline O'Neall

• T-tops? We don't need no stinkin' T-tops!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
Quote from: "78w72"
thanks for the great info. so does that mean my car didnt have a radio? it says it was a $26.00 charge on my dealer invoice. based on what you stated it was only charged without a radio, correct?

That is correct.  My car was ordered with the Radio Accom. Pkg. too.  It was a common practice for customer ordered cars because the AC Delco GM units were very pricey for their day... and not all that great of quality.  The aftermarket stuff was cheaper and better for the most part, so if you were ordering your new T/A direct, why not just save some money up front on the pricey GM radio, and install your own after the fact for cheaper (and likely get a better unit). 8)
Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)
"Trans Am!  What's your pleasure?"

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:56:58 PM »
I ordered my car in February 1975 w/o a radio, but I got the windshield antenna.  It was a "radio delete" car and came with the blockoff plate in the dash.  Some years later when I did install a stereo in it, all of the necessary power pigtails were present although I had to run my own speaker wires.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:51:17 PM »
that makes sense then, my car has all the plugs for radio power & antenna lead also antenna in window, but the speaker wires are clearly ran by someone that just poked holes in the rear cardboard behind the seats when they added an aftermarket radio.

i also recently removed the front dash speaker & braket that was there, not sure why a speaker was put there if there wasnt a radio, but who knows what gm did back then.

thanks again.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
I didn't originally have a dash speaker in my car, but I installed one to accomodate the Johnson CB radio I had.  I built a cradle for the CB that fit between the seats on the hump in the rear and ran a set of wires up the console to the speaker in the dash.  It made for a good CB installation.  For a long time that was the only radio I had in the car.