Author Topic: My 78 Trans Am  (Read 6098 times)

Offline SolarGoldTA

My 78 Trans Am
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »
I just joined the board a few days ago and now finally have some pictures together so you guys can see what I am working on. There are some befores, and in progress ones. As it stands I have just about all the junk off the firewall and am just about ready to pull the motor. Yeah!

Before:

In Progress:

Hopefully I should have the motor out this week so I can get started disassembling the front end to give it a much needed cleaning and rebuild.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: My 78 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »
Really nice looking car...at least is was before you started tearing it apart!  Are you going to put new hinge pins and bushings in the doors since you have the fenders off?  It looks like a great rust free car.  It's going to be fantastic when you get it done.

Offline SolarGoldTA

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »
Yeah, I already have the bushing/hinge pin rebuild kit for the doors as I do think they sag. There actually is a little rust I found behind the wheel flares I plan on dealing with then the car is going to get some paint to freshen her up. Thankfully the cancer is not terminal though, and I don't have to go and replace everything. It photographed OK but mechanically it had seen some better days, so I am super excited to get it running right so I can really start to enjoy the thing.

Offline Shifty

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »
How many miles is on your TA
78 T/A W-72 400/4 speed WS6 MSD Hedman Comp Cams TRW / Goldy
78 T/A L-78 400/ auto WS6 / Bad n Blue  

Offline SolarGoldTA

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »
68,000 and it is actually accurate according to all of the service records I have from the last 20 years.

Offline SolarGoldTA

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
Nice car......And you live in OHIO too!  Awesome.

Thanks, I look forward to the day it is actually put back together and ready to come out and join the group.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
wow thats a great looking car....why did you ever take it all apart ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline SolarGoldTA

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »
wow thats a great looking car....why did you ever take it all apart ?

It was one of those that looked good from far but far from good. My hood wouldn't close straight and stuck up over the driver side. I am convinced this car was in an accident at some point because most of the stuff on the passenger side wouldn't line up properly. My decal on the hood had kind of dried out and I wanted to replace it, so it became one of those if we're going to paint that then we should fix this and before you knew it there was no more front end  ;D I need new tires also so I am going to refinish the wheels while I have the tire off and the car on stands. Basically I just wanted to upgrade it mechanically because it has various issues. I am probably just picky, but the project doesn't seem quite so overwhelming not starting with a bucket.

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 10:16:15 PM »
Where do you live, I just heard im dropping some parts off to you soon, from eroc022.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics, the rod looks rockin.  Looks like you've got a good jump on getting some restoration done too.
Rich