Author Topic: Windshield and Rear Window Trim Removal Question  (Read 3048 times)

Offline TRAN5AM

Windshield and Rear Window Trim Removal Question
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:12:16 AM »
I would like to remove the chrome trim around the windshield and rear window to prepare it for painting. How do you do it without damaging any clips, or the trim itself?
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:19:43 AM »
You need a special little tool.  But, you could still damage the pins that the clips attach to.  Check out the body manual for the year of your car.  Don't worry about the clips, you can get new ones.

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »
Do you mean a tool like this?

How do you use it?
Steve Frey

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
That's an all in one tool.  The pointy hook end is what's used to remove the mouldning.  I watched the glass guy remove my rear window and install a defogger window in my car.  He just dug in there and lifted the moulding off the clip.  He was careful because he didn't want to ruin the clip.  I was more concerned about the pins.  

You could probably get a glass guy to take the moulding off for you.  It only takes them a few minutes.

Lots of times when they take that moulding off they find rust.  I had a window guy who I had reseal a rear window on my first 1978.  I got into an argument with him about rust.  He was certain he would find rust when he took off the moulding.  I told him my cars don't rust...ever!  He took the moulding off and of course there was no rust.

I had the window resealed because everytime I washed the car they would be drops of water on the seats...and it wasn't coming from the drivers window.  Once it was resealed it was fine.  They all have a peculiar dip in the drivers side roof...and odd little depression in the sheet metal that you'll see when you take the moulding off.  Make sure you seal that area really well or else it will leak.

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:08 PM »
Okay thanks. From what I've been reading, I guess you "hook" the clip, and pull it toward the center of the windshield?
Steve Frey