Author Topic: Turn Signals?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Formula454

Turn Signals?
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »
I have been having a ton of problems with my 1976 Firebird Formula, among the most recent, my turn signals don't work. I have gutted the steering column and found no major problems, while i had it apart i tried a different turn signal switch. both switches do the exact same thing, no turn signals, but when you turn on the hazard lights, only the right side comes on. I have also noticed that the brakelights only work on the right side as well. I assume this is related to my problem. all the parking and headlights work. I'm so lost here, Thanks!
huck Norris counted to infinity, Twice!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Turn Signals?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »
Check the bulbs first.  Make sure you've got the right ones and in the right way.  If that doesn't help, you've got to get out your volt meter and start checking the wiring.  It's usually not the turn signal switch.  And, since your brake lights don't work either, it most certainly can't be the switch.

Offline Clint s

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Bad grounds and bad sockets are the biggest cause of faulty lights in the tail section.  Those thngs can get pretyy cruddy  after 30  years.  Check for power before the sockes and then trace  the wires up to where the harness plugs in and then check fr power there.  If ther is power up there the harness is probally shot.  Took me a day a wire brush and 2 new sockets to get all my light and blinkers working.

Offline Formula454

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »
If the problem is not in the switch, how can the right side turn signals come on when i turn on the 4-ways, but not when i signal right? I have checked all the parking lights and they all work. I will look them over more throughly tomorrow.
huck Norris counted to infinity, Twice!

Offline Clint s

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »
Do you have brake lights and rear tail lights?  Bad grounds and crappy wires can do some strange things.  your hazzards may be wired with a different wire than your signals thats why they work.  Those sockets go bad all the time.  If money permits I think they offer a whole harness with sockets for just over $100

Offline dgilleland

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »
I had tons of problems with intermitant turn signals and brake lights and replaced the turn signal switch.  It consist of a plastic switch that mounts in the steering colum and the harness that attaches to the stearing colum.  Most auto parts stores have them about 25.00.  The stearing wheel has to be removed and make sure you get the right one (side marker signal lights or not) best to take the old one with you to match up.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »
Ok, you have right rear hazards but no turn or brake lights. What about the front? Do those signals work at all? Do you only have the right front hazard or both?

When you "gutted" the column, do you mean you pulled the harness completely out? Just wondering if it could be a chaffed wire. What about the harness connector at the base of the column or the wiring beyond that? (under the dash).
Larry