Author Topic: JasonD's future personal toy......  (Read 18693 times)

Offline JasonD

JasonD's future personal toy......
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Well dudes....as promised I'm gonna post up some pictures of the 79 Bandit I just picked up on Saturday.

Try not to laugh too hard. I rescued this car from behind a mobile home out in the woods......and I got it dirt cheap!  :lol:

This is the car I have been looking for for a long time. This is a 1979 Special Edition Trans Am with the WS6 Handling Package......but NO other options. No AC, no cruise, no power anything.....it doesn't even have rear defrost or a trunk light.  :shock: The original 403/auto runs great and the drivetrain is really tight.......but since this is gonna be MY car I want it to be able to light up the tires at 45 MPH.

This car is going to get a full rotisserie restoration and will be powered by a built 455 Pontiac with a built 200-4R tranny behind it. It's gonna look totally stock but it's gonna be a beast.  :twisted:

Here's some pictures that would give Chip Foose a heart attack......

"You'd have to live three lifetimes just to catch up to the allegations that follow ME around!" ---David Lee Roth

Offline JasonD

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
What do you do when your original deluxe Camel Tan interior starts looking a little worn out?

Why....you throw in ripped black standard seats and console out of another T/A and lose the original build sheet!

Who cares if the car has manual windows? That power window switch just plain looks cool.  :roll:

"You'd have to live three lifetimes just to catch up to the allegations that follow ME around!" ---David Lee Roth

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »
 8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:05:19 PM by WarbirdTA »

Offline JasonD

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
Believe it or not.....this 403/TH350 combo runs like a top! It will be put on a stand and stored while the car gets a serious engine.

Look at that pristine original molded shaker drain hose. MmmmMmmm!

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:33 PM »
8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:04:56 PM by WarbirdTA »

Offline LeighP

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Aw, don't worry about the paint....that'll just buff out.......  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455

Offline JasonD

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
The guy I bought the car from said he liked the looks of the 77-78 front end......so he bought one and bolted it on.  Apparantly he didn't care if the tail lights were different.  :?

Thank God he kept the original 1979 front bumper.....complete with Velcro headlight covers!  :lol:

Offline JasonD

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:02:21 PM »
And THIS, my friends, is the "la piece de resistance".......

Look up in the trunk. There are a pair of house speakers that are strapped underneath the package tray with bungee cords. Yes......bungee cords!

That's gotta sound great when you crank up the non-functioning stereo.  :lol:

Offline JasonD

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
....and the only thing that makes it all worthwhile is that little "Y84" on the cowl tag.  :wink:

Notice the lack of a bolt holding the top of the fender to the cowl.  :lol:

Offline JasonD

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:44 PM »
Quote from: "WarbirdTA"
When are you going to find the time to work on it?
Holidays? :wink:
I figured that with the magazine plug, you would be booked up till 2010! :shock:
Looks like a fun project!

George 8)

Holidays, nights, weekends.......

At least the ones that the wifey doesn't get.  :wink:

Offline JasonD

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:51 PM »
Quote from: "WarbirdTA"
Is that a silver headlight switch?
Since the inner door pull is missing, tell everyone the power window switches are for power door shutting and opening. See what they say to that. :wink:

George 8)

Yep the headlight switch is silver. Somebody replaced the whole entire dash bezel with one from a 1980-81 T/A because it has the round turn signal indicators with the little arrows printed in them.

One surprising thing is the clock actually works perfectly.  :lol:

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »
Not bad for a behind-the-trailer rescue, Jason.  And I like the redneck speaker install -- milly will too, I'm sure.  Now about that engine...Tom (Maryland Bandit) has this detailing spray that'll fix that RIGHT up... :lol:  :lol:

Offline AB21

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
I can't wait to see this one in August!  :)  :?:
OBJECTS IN MIRROR APPEAR TO BE LOSING

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
:lol:  :lol: That's classic. I love the "mods" :lol: :lol:

But all in all a great find!

Need a place to "store" that 403?  :P
Larry

Offline JasonD

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »
Quote from: "SirLDragon"
:lol:  :lol: That's classic. I love the "mods" :lol: :lol:

But all in all a great find!

Need a place to "store" that 403?  :P

It's the numbers matching motor, so I'll probably restore it and keep it just to have it with the car. You never know when 79 Bandits might go the way of the Super Dutys.  :wink: