Author Topic: looking for carb and intake  (Read 2657 times)

Offline brandon.o41

looking for carb and intake
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
Looking for a edelbrook or Holley carb and intake that will fit a 79 ta with a 403 and will work / fit with the shaker, just looking for some power. Preferably 750 to 800 cfm and electric choke

Or can someone recommend a good set up that would work for me? Thanks

Offline mikekop

Re: looking for carb and intake
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »
You'll never make any power with what you're looking for. The Edelbrock Performer will fit WITH A QUADRAJET to the shaker. Only advantage with it is weight though.
Make sure your Quadrajet is in shape and properly setup, that is the best way to get power (restored). A 800 cfm Holley will only give you grief.

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline brandon.o41

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
Kind of firguret that, but currently don't have enough money to do a motor swap or anything crazy. Just trying to squeeze as much power as I can out of the 403. I really looking for a lopy cam and some headers. But just wondering if I should screw with the carb and intake. The quadrajet in the car isn't original and isn't running at the power it should

Offline mikekop

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:13 AM »
Ok, just spend the money you do have on a correct Quadrajet and rebuild it, Cliff Ruggles is the man to speak with there. Next step is distributor, make sure it's in good condition and correct set.
Then save up for a headers/exhaust system swap. I bought "factory headers", ie bigger cast iron manifolds and a true dual x-system from Ram Air Restorations Enterprices, cost ~ $600 this setup will give you a minimum of grief when installing and using the car in comparison to traditional tube headers. I estimate I got a 25-30 hp power bump with this.
A cam will give a little more, but mostly change the characteristics of the engine, faster response and the power bump will mostly be in torque.
Anything more will need higher compression, this means swapping heads or pistons.

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
x2

If it already isn't running right then don't go bolting on other items expecting it to suddenly come good. Get q-jet cleaned up, or better still spend the money on a rebuilt unit that is correct for a 403 and aircleaner. Stock intake is fine, otherwise weight savings and possibly a little performance in the Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) or A4 intake. Choke tubes for 403 aren't too bad to source, otherwise stick on an electric choke and call it done. Improve the exhaust and set up the distributor too. A lopey cam in a stock 403 will typically mean it will be overtaken by little old ladies, select one that suits your setup or you will just have a dog that isn't fun anymore.

Without ripping deep into the engine you are left with the mild cam to suit low compression and a better rear gear since they are all fairly tall from new, 3.08-3.23 being a good all-round ratio without overdrive, 403's don't like to rev too high. For example my 380hp 403 was wrung out to 4900rpm on the dyno sheet but peaked in hp and torque at around 3500rpm, and dropped off, being failry solid until then, use the torque and save the revs as they are being wasted with the fuel.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:18:25 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline brandon.o41

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »
x2

If it already isn't running right then don't go bolting on other items expecting it to suddenly come good. Get q-jet cleaned up, or better still spend the money on a rebuilt unit that is correct for a 403 and aircleaner. Stock intake is fine, otherwise weight savings and possibly a little performance in the Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) or A4 intake. Choke tubes for 403 aren't too bad to source, otherwise stick on an electric choke and call it done. Improve the exhaust and set up the distributor too. A lopey cam in a stock 403 will typically mean it will be overtaken by little old ladies, select one that suits your setup or you will just have a dog that isn't fun anymore.

Without ripping deep into the engine you are left with the mild cam to suit low compression and a better rear gear since they are all fairly tall from new, 3.08-3.23 being a good all-round ratio without overdrive, 403's don't like to rev too high. For example my 380hp 403 was wrung out to 4900rpm on the dyno sheet but peaked in hp and torque at around 3500rpm, and dropped off, being failry solid until then, use the torque and save the revs as they are being wasted with the fuel.

What gears are you running? I'm going to do gears this weekend and was debating between 3:23 and 3:73s. Also what do you have into your motor that's pushing it to 380? I'm looking to just get under that. Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »
Mine has the KB pistons and other small mods, raises compression the same as the early heads do, still a mild build with low intake and exhaust manifold. It has a main cap girdle though. It has 3.42 rear that will be used with a 2004R overdrive, wouldn't consider that gear with three-speed.

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
not to be contrary but more than once i have gotten a car that did not run properly due to a messed up original q jet and that is after having a mechanic friend do his best to tune and set it up properly.  not saying they cannot be rebuilt but that is time consuming and expensive to send to cliff or to hopefully get a kit to fix it.  ordered a new edlebrock intake from jegs and a 750 holley and it shipped the next day and a few hours later its like a brand new car that runs excellent.  i prefer the stock set up but if the q jet is messed up it can be a bear to get it to run right.  i have sent a q jet out twice for rebuilds and it still was not working right and adjusting properly. 

right now i have a perfectly working q jet on my 77 camaro, a great working holley on my 77 ta and an inconsistent q jet on my 79 ta that needs attention but i do not want to go through the aggravation of trying to get it to work correctly.
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:49:24 AM »
What gears are you running? I'm going to do gears this weekend and was debating between 3:23 and 3:73s. Also what do you have into your motor that's pushing it to 380? I'm looking to just get under that. Thanks
[/quote]

I put 3.73s in for use with my 200-4r. I still have a 2.51 final drive. It is perfect, IMO. Even before I rebuilt the engine, with the stock 403, it would smoke the tires through 1st and 2nd and then chirp 3rd lol. I love those gears. I wouldn't go lower than 3.42s or your engine could detonate when your car goes in to OD, if its pulling against too tall of a gear.

Offline brandon.o41

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
So would 3.73s be the best option in yours guys opinion to throw in on a stock tranny? Also if the a jet is a pain to get running right since I live in Minnesota and every thing gets rusted together and put through hell and back. What would be the best aftermarket cam and carb to install? Any links would be great

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
i think 3.73 is way to much with stock tranny.  i put a 3.42 with stock tranny in my 78 ta and at 65mph i was around 3100 rpm's which is still to high for me.  i think 3.23 would be a good compromise but the 3.42 was decent on the hwy.  holley 750 is good choice, used several of them all with good success. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
i think 3.73 is way to much with stock tranny.  i put a 3.42 with stock tranny in my 78 ta and at 65mph i was around 3100 rpm's which is still to high for me.  i think 3.23 would be a good compromise but the 3.42 was decent on the hwy.  holley 750 is good choice, used several of them all with good success. 
X2. 3.73s or even 3.55s are too low for any highway use at all. The only reason I used 3.73s was due to the 200-4r since I was borrowing from the playbook of the Buick GN.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
x3

Not just the stock trans but also a nearly stock 403, it will run out of breath and be a dog since it doesn't have the power and is out of it's power band trying to rev out, which you don't want it to do either. The stock peak hp was around 3500rpm by which time I think the torque had dropped away, it will do it, but it won't be happy! 403 stories are full of the reasons even if they are blown out of proportion and many engines suffer similarly and don't get a mention. Plus, go to low gearing and you not only running out of top-end speed, you also start losing take-off speed from being too low and having to nurse the throttle, use the torque to accelerate instead. Just type in 403 gears or performance upgrades and have a read, well trodden path that doesn't deviate too much.

Spot on with carb rebuilds, sometimes the rebuild isn't great or the carb has multiple issues that they don't always pick up first time, somehow. I had mine apart 4-5 times, the last few trying to correct the first idiots attempt. And then a few more chasing a vacuum leak and then a weeping top gasket from warped plate. All fixed now though, hopefully!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:39:16 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline brandon.o41

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:03:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I was close to going with the 3.73s but I'll probably be going with a 3.42-3.55 now. I'm having the quadrajet rebuilt soon. One of the other mechanics at the shop I work at builds race cars and said he'll so it for a hundred bucks. So I'll do that and see how it runs. But what have you guys ran for cams in the 403? And have you guys had good luck with them or no?

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
I'm running a newer grind, 0.500" lift Engle cam with 2.10 int/ 1.76 exh valves. I'll have to find the cam card; I can't remember the duration. It's not too wild, idle isn't rough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk