Author Topic: Body Mounts......Rubber Vs Poly  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Body Mounts......Rubber Vs Poly
« on: July 01, 2006, 03:56:51 AM »
Hi all,
I've been making a list of suspension parts I can upgrade to the Polyurethane parts before moving on to subframe connectors and so on. Just found out the rubber style body and radiator mounts are only new when I brought the car home and still fresh.
Here's the question..... are the rubber mounts worth the trouble of completely replacing again plus the cost? Also, how do rubber mounts stand up when using a subframe connector, welded or bolt in?
cheers,
Ben

Offline Banditboy21

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 09:56:11 PM »
i have installed poly bushings in my car complete nothing rubber anywhere and just started to drive car today and ride is really stiff rubber makes for a softer ride but polyurethane makes for better handling and stability so u have to ask your self what u want just my 2 sense

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »
Depends on if this is a daily driver or just a cruiser.
Over on TAC there was a big discussion on poly vs rubber, after reading the posts it might make your descision easier or it may just confuse the issue further :D
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline 81BlackTA

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »
When I did my bushings, I was on the cheap and bought the polyurethane because they were so much cheaper than originals from the dealer. I'm really glad that for once, my cheaping out was a good decision for me. I cruise some with my car but its main function is performance driving. Fast corners and fast acceleration. For that driving style they appear to be the best way to go. They really do stiffen up the car. I plan to poly the entire car gradually.
The subframe connectors also further stiffen the car and are important for torquey motors. I haven't tried it but would think that they would work fine with the rubber mounts.
Why do you want the subframe connectors? For handling stiffness or for big power to stop the body from eventually self destructing?
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G1 Heads
XR264HR Comp Cam and valve train
Performer intake
TH350 3:08 posi
4 Wheel Disc

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I'll go ahead and buy some of the poly mounts as well then, you know support the local importer! It's in no way a daily driver so they would be to both stiffen up the ride and stop body flex from big power, the big power also being on the list! As we all know it currently feels like there's a hinge on the firewall where the body and hood flex.
cheers,
Ben

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:45:20 AM »
Might have a slight setback.....found out one body mount (LH rear) is fitted on a slight angle, not much though. I'm still trying to work out how pics upload. I'm worried that a solid mount will not sit properly. How much clearance is there in the body mount bolt holes if I replaced and tried to straighten?
cheers,
Ben

ps. can email a pic if anyone wants a look.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »
[/img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/Aus78Formula/firebirdcrookedbodymount2.jpg

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 03:58:10 AM »

Offline 81BlackTA

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 02:13:21 PM »
Slight angle? I don't recall any of the mounts being on an angle. I also think that there are line up holes in both the body and the subframe. I'm going back in the garage shortly, I'll crawl under and have a peek.
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Performer intake
4 Wheel Disc

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »

Try this pic......... no its not meant to be like that!

Offline Banditboy21

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »
looks to me as if your frame hole is enlarged and the bushing is falling into it probably rotted and no that is not good

Offline 81BlackTA

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
Ditto that. If you're not into repairing the frame with a welder, go find a big washer or a piece of 1/8" thick square plate to cover the hole for a temorary fix.
I would shave a bit off of the mount to allow for the thickness of the washer or plate that you use.
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Performer intake
4 Wheel Disc

Offline Banditboy21

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »
i agree if u use a big washer put it on the inside of the frame so u wont have to worry about shaving the bushing down to compensate for the thickness of the washer i have done this typr of fix before and it worked fine

Offline 81BlackTA

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 08:13:30 PM »
What does the rest of the car look like? Looks pretty clean under there!
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Performer intake
4 Wheel Disc

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 04:47:58 AM »
Thanks Guys, yeah hopefully it's just a worn hole or damaged bolt that can be repaired or welded up. The panels line up dead perfect and car is basically restored and shows not sign of uneven tyre wear so wouldn't appear to be from any sort of previous chassis damage or shonky work. I have some replacement mounts on the way so I'll jack her up for a peek before planning the next step. Thanks for the tips.
Ben