Author Topic: Looking For 77-81 Trans AM  (Read 6837 times)

Offline solargold

Re: Looking For 77-81 Trans AM
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
he has the car listed for sale. Copy the ad and save it. Offer $500 up front as a parts car with the other $500 upon title received.
L8R G8R

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks guys! does anyone know if I can physically take the car while the paperwork is done?
That will be up to the shop owner. The state does not come out and check up on the car, so they dont ever know what the car looks like.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Great advice! is there a chance I can physically take the car while the paperwork is done? id love to start while the weathers warm. As far as colors I believe it was a black on black car, maybe a special edition?  Ill have to dig around when I talk to them next
Keep On Dreamin' Even If It Breaks Your Heart

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Thats good news^ im sure he wont have a problem. Older gentleman who will tell you his life story and them some, it was fun talking to him for 45 minutes the first time we talked, such a nice man

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
I would wait to have paperwork, bcuz once they have your money there is no incentive to get the paperwork!  At least it is all apart so you can do all the cleaning repainting replacing etc.  Just make sure you get ALL the parts and you will need an assembly CD as well.  Just out of curiosity for now can you get the info on that Impala and send it to my Email:
cheaptanks@gmail.com  Thx Randy

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
I need to see if the shop owner will go half now half when I can come get the title. I figure if I get the car for 500 and never see the title it can be a good parts car. All the pieces are at the shop, kept indoors. Is an assembly CD what it sounds like? basically a guide to re assembly? I will look into the impala also

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
Okay guys I spoke with the older gentleman. He is the manager of this body shop where the car is located. The owner of the shop is a 81 year old man. Who had in the past sent the trans am owner letters about getting the car and never had a response. The man I talked to had told the shop owner I was looking around for one and I had done the research needed to get a title, and he had to do a little paperwork. So I should be talking to him tomorrow sometime.

Fun facts:
1978 Trans AM
T-top car
Matching numbers 400 motor
Originally blue w/black interior
81k original miles the day it was brought to the shop. Car ran and drove great says the man I talked to
Original wheels with caps

Finding this out has gotten me all excited. I'm hoping the older man will be willing to file for a new title and go half now, half when I get the title, that way I can get started. Trying to go see it or pick it up this weekend. Depending on how tomorrow goes.

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
That's awesome. You must keep it Marty blue!! :)
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
Thats what I'm thinkin, such a good color on fresh black interior

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
Awesome hope it works out but don't get too excited til you see some progress from the Shop owner!  Ask Nathan LOTS can change when buying one of these beautiful machines!  ::)

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
Awesome hope it works out but don't get too excited til you see some progress from the Shop owner!  Ask Nathan LOTS can change when buying one of these beautiful machines!  ::)
Ain't that the truth
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
does anyone feel the shop owner wont take 2 payments? He doesnt have anything linking him to the car legally. but then again after he gets my money whos to say he wont look into the title any longer. starting to feel i may be in a standoff. and if I wait months for an abandoned car title ill have the money for a car more complete. keep in mind itll be winter. Hmmmm what to do

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
To me personally, I feel this guy has this car in his shop for many a moon and has tried to get rid of it but the owner doesn't want it or something happened to her. So needless to say he wants to finally rid himself of it and the space its taking up. He will be more than willing to take payments and have him sign an agreement that he has to finish the paperwork on the title issue or you get your money back and he gets the car back. I don't see this guy just taking your 500 and screwing you over. He's more happy to be seeing the car go. Don't second guess yourself or someone else will sneak in there and get it first. You have a good deal here. Sometimes a person just has to take chances. Life is too short to not go after your dreams.
4Saken

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
Oh yea also take a witness in with you when you talk to this guy. That way if it does go south you have the agreement and a witness.
4Saken

Offline JmillerTA

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
thank you I feel much better now. A guy I know had put that thought into my head. But from talking to the older man who knows about the car and hearing about the old man (owner) They are both extremely nice people and I cant see him not keeping his word. Like you said the car is a nusance for the shop owner, and he wants to get rid of it. The man I talked to was a true enthusiast and understood how this can become a great car, as I am sure the shop owner does too. And who better to sell to than an energetic 21 year old?  :) This truly is a dream if it all works out. Glad to share it with you guys. And I will have my best buddy since childhood along to help me. I really have high hopes for this car.