Author Topic: 6 year project  (Read 5641 times)

Offline qcksilver79

6 year project
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
I've been working on my project for almost six years now on week ends and days off. I started with three parts cars but only one was solid enough and not too far gone with rust to be the chosen one (1979 formula).
 I purchased all three from a guy who would not sell them separately. I gave $ 1000.00 for the three cars. the other two were a 1978 trans am 4speed and the other a 1977 spirit which were rotten to the core. The 1979 formula was very solid except for the 4 lowest areas which I replaced with new floor pans.
 I have been on this site on and off for a couple of  years reading, wishing and soaking up info from some of you all with the knowledge that has helped me with some of the road blocks and problem areas. Great site and thank you all BTW.
I have come to a point that I thought I would start sharing the story of my bird.
I started by stripping the 79 completely, stripping it of the 301, auto tranny all interior, front cap, rear bumper, gas tank, limited slip rear end fuel lines, brake lines ect...

I then pulled the whole drive train out of the 78 4 speed. The 400 had mice living in the intake and wasn't sure if the motor was savable or not. I sold the 4 speed on ebay to help buy the 5 speed tremec that is now in the car and rebuilt the 3:42 posi rear end and installed it. The 400 motor was taken to the engine shop where they were magnafluxed and was able to be bored .60 ( new everything, pistons crank mild cam, ceramic headers and carb).
I bought new fuel tank, fuel and brake lines poly urethane bushing throughout ect...
I never cared for the 79 front end but love the full tail lights across the back so I swapped out the brackets on the front to accommodate the 78 front cap.  Needless to say this will be far from #'s matching but more less a freak creation of what I want in my bird.
 When I started on this, I don't think new  panels were available but since then I have purchased new fenders, hood front and rear bumper cap and shaker. OH yea and both rear Quarter panels because both sided had rusted spots down low and was going to be cheaper and cleaner to replace than fix.
Any ways 6 years and $8000 later its in the body shop well known in the area for restoring older cars and that ive known since I was a young.
The shop owner and I visited for quite awhile about what will be done and the cost,  wheew!!  It will be another $8000 when I pick it up.  I've seen much of his work in the past and im satisfied it will be slick as glass and cant wait.
I posted a couple of pics a couple of years ago and remember I had to go to photo bucket so when I get that figured out I will post them asap.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/qcksilver79/005.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/qcksilver79/008.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:31:03 PM by qcksilver79 »

Offline qcksilver79

Re: 6 year project
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
I just spent an hr trying to post a pic. What a pain in the a**! I created a photo bucket account and my pictures come up and everything. I pic them out and try to post them and get a message saying error has occurred everytime. UGH!

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
Once the pic is loaded into your bucket, open it and go to the right side of the screen. Copy the IMG code listed and then paste it into your post and that should bring the picture up.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
Thanks Mongo! I got it figured out now I just wish I had posted them in better order, im kinda rough when it comes to computer literacy. Atleast it kinda gives yall a little idea what I have goin on.

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
 ;)  Looks nice!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Looking great!

Looks like repop front fenders & hood?  How did they work out for you?  They look good in the pics.
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »
They are actually fitting better than we thought and the gaps are nice. the right side of the hood has a slight bow in the middle . the front and rear of the hood is flush with the fender but rises a little in the middle but I think it can be tweeked and be ok. the left side runs flush and is perfect. no problems with the fenders.  the biggest trouble that we've had was with the new hood hinges. the hinges and the springs came separately and we almost gave up trying to get the springs snapped  onto the hinges. we ended up taking a small piece if pipe and grinded a groove into it to pry them on. the hood works smooth now.

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
looking great man! just need to hear the story with the air cleaner...i have never seen that set up before....

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »
It's looking great! 
Not sure about your tachometer choice though.... :)
Keep up the good work... I'd like to see photos when you get it back from the paint shop!
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
That air cleaner setup was just a temporary cold air unit I had sitting around that I used to keep the carburetor cleaned and I was able to start it and run it every once in awhile when I had the front cap off. As for the tach ,I painted the gauge housing on the inside with an orange fluorescent paint. I'm guessing you're talking about it being red?

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
Got both Quarter panels finished this week. Ready for body work now! Im still struggling with paint color and wheel choice. decisions decisions.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:54:29 PM by qcksilver79 »

Offline qcksilver79

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
I  found a photo edit app on my phone, so I played around with a photo of a car I found on line that was a similar color that mine will be and tried to put the wheels I want on the car. Not a great picture but was enough to convince me that this is what I'll end up with in about 2 months

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Great body work there, you've got talent, that's for sure! Looking good so far!! Glad to hear the repop parts fit okay, I didn't even realize they make hoods now.
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!