Author Topic: Worth the time and effort?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Rapp16

Re: Worth the time and effort?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the support guys. I had never wanted to get rid of the car but I've been under pressure from my mom to junk it lol.I think it will all be worth it in the end even if it takes twenty years to restore. Now my next question is how much information can you all offer if I post the numbers off of the vin and cowl? I've got a few things to get done but I'm planning on running outside and getting them sometime today before it gets dark. The build sheet will have to wait until I get the garage arranged the way I want and the car is up on stands.
1978 Trans Am - Red Cloth Interior, Black exterior accented by plenty of rust.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi- granny sleeper with a supercharger

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
how much information can you all offer if I post the numbers off of the vin and cowl?

You can decode your VIN and cowl using the info here:

http://www.78ta.com/vin1978.php
and here:
http://www.78ta.com/cowl1978.php

Thanks for the support guys. I had never wanted to get rid of the car but I've been under pressure from my mom to junk it lol.

I wouldn't junk it as anything can be repaired or replaced but as mentioned, the car is going to require a HUGE amount of work and money.

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll go get the numbers now and post what I find.

That's expected with any restoration I feel like. Like I said before I'm not hoping to have this thing done and on the road in a year or anything. The more spread out the restoration the lighter it will be on my pocket and I will be able to do everything right.

I'm having trouble finding a good set of fenders in my area. If anyone has a set for sale that are in good shape PM me. All the repro's I've found seem a bit steep on the price.
Thanks,
Derek

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »
You might want to make a post in the "parts wanted" section for fenders (and whatever else you're looking for)...and post your location (maybe someone nearby will have the parts you need) since shipping on items that large will kill ya' ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 05:55:37 AM »
I'd do it :) It's a 78 400\4spd with t-tops :O One of the most awesome combinations in my opinion :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
I'd do it :) It's a 78 400\4spd with t-tops :O One of the most awesome combinations in my opinion :)
That's what I was thinkin.

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Build it!   If you fail-----oh' well you tried and gained life experience. I have e-mailed with you several times.
You obviously have the T/A bug.

My only advise--------Put your college education before the T/A and don't let ANY woman (except your mother) come between you and your dreams. Each and every one of us have been blessed with just one life. Live your life brother. Make mistakes and learn lessons along the way. Metal, money, sweat, tears, and time = life experience.   Live your life brother!!!!!

I wish you the best with your choice (TRANS AM),  Dave
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline bluebyu64gp

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
Sir,

I thought I was the sick one with some of the crap I have taken on...Good luck with this one and every time I find a pin hole, I will raise a beer for you!!!  This one will be tough that's for sure, but have welder, will make tacks...good luck
David
76 T/A
USAF Retired

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 01:26:25 AM »
Haha thanks for the support guys. I'm eager to get started on it but I'm actually having trouble juat getting it into the garage because the tires are so dry rotted that they won't even hold air. So I'm asking around through friends to try and find a set of rims and tires that I can bolt on for ten minutes while I roll the thing into the garage. Talk about overwhelming! I can't even get the d**n thing in the garage! Lol

Oh and Dave I'm anxiously awaiting on a reply email  from you. I've checked my email a million times in the last two days haha.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:34:50 AM by Rapp16 »

Offline UnderDog403

• Phil 4:13
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »
Restore it. If its not your main mode of transportation, which it's not, then who cares how long it might take? How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Good luck!
NOT INVESTMENTS.
1977 Trans Am hardtop 400 auto
1979 Trans Am T-top 403
1997 Trans Am M6