Author Topic: 1981 Turbo recaro ta identity?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline wolfdoguk

1981 Turbo recaro ta identity?
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this site, been registered for a while but this is my first post.
I hope someone can help me out here.
I own a 1981 TA turbo. I'm going to have to do a ground up restoration after it got buried under 10ft of water back in 2007 and wasn't covered by insurance...
I'm confused as to what it actually is! It's a special edition, and appears to be a 1981 Daytona pace car replica, it has the decals, 4 wheel disc brakes, recaro seats, no rear windshield demister, red instrument lights etc... However, the seats are recaro, but have a solid headrest (as opposed to the netted ones), they have no red inserts like a Daytona, it has instead, a pattern of beige colour in a kind of check style halfway on the seat-backs, the carpet is black, not red, the door cards are Daytona with the embroidered bird, but the carpet at the bottom has been dyed black OVER existing red! The hubcaps simply had "pontiac" as opposed to the firebird emblem. Research suggests a special edition, but exactly which one, I am not 100%, everything points to a pace car, except for the seat covers and carpet, it's all very confusing! The car is original and was imported here to the UK back in 89.
I hope someone can shed some light, the chassis number is: 1G2AX87T3BN115524
Also, there are a couple of photos.
Thank you for reading.
Paul
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/wolfdoguk/library/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:39:38 AM by wolfdoguk »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1981 Turbo recaro ta identity?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »
The X in the VIN says it's a Special Edition (you knew that) and the 11 Lower (white) and 19 Upper (black) paint codes on the cowl tag tell you it's a  Recaro edition. I can't comment on the interior, other than to say not everyone likes original colours and seats get swapped etc and it was already many years old. Is the interior still water damaged, apart from being in poor condition?

Offline wolfdoguk

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Well, I've had the car since 2001, and there were only a couple of owners before me, the carpet was pretty worn, and the seats were pretty rough when I got it, (sun damage) I know it had these seats in since it got here, but as you say, it could have had a seat swap at some time between 81 and 89, but they would have to be from another ta, firebird or maybe even a camaro, especially the rear seats in particular, as they would be f body specific, unless of course they were re-covered professionally. I am not aware of any other f body's with recaro's, so that is where my confusion stems from.
The interior is completely ruined, I haven't had the stomach to tear it down yet, so I don't know the extent of damage to instruments heater etc. Before the floods came, I was a day or so off getting it on the road again, I literally had to fix the brakes and it was roadworthy again. I did drain 20 litres of water from the engine and 5 from the autobox, and goodness knows how much from the fuel tank. I did get it running and moving again, but that's as far as I got.
I'm hoping to salvage the seat foams and re-cover the seats, new carpet, headliner etc, luckily, the door cards were in the house.

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
Just a thought here, it would be MUCH cheaper to buy another one. Nice survivor cars can be had from high teens to upper 20's.  Way cheaper than the cost to restore yours. Also, you will have  a better ROI when and if you do sell it.   I have a 66k mile one if interested.

The Y85 cars are unique. I feel they are much better looking than the 80 pace cars.  The interior makes them.
Sounds like you do have a pace car. based on description and VIN.  If still unsure, run a PHS.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline wolfdoguk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Well, my main problem is I don't have mega bucks, and I also have other projects pending, car wise. I do do all restorations myself, from rebuilding motors, stitching new fabrics to full re-painting, so that reduces costs quite considerably. My Achilles heel is I can't bear to see worthy vehicles destined for destruction or a source of parts, I would do my best to get "doomed" cars back on the road, and for as little cost as possible.
The ROI here is sadly irrelevant, being in the UK, people don't see the potential in such a rare beast, firebird's are a rare sight here at the best of times, but being one of 2000 seems to mean nothing. I know there are at least 3 other pace cars over here, one, maybe an original, official pace car, complete with light bar on the roof.
I absolutely agree with you on both accounts, I'm sure it's a pace car, the seats and carpet throw me way off though! And I totally agree that the 81 looks way better than an 80, everything looks right on them. I originally wanted a black one, but I saw this guy, and he looked way more striking than any black ta, I know millions will disagree, but the white and black looked so good together.
Yes, my next step is to go the PHS route, but of course, that is thwart with problems!

Offline nakita7

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
Takid is right, you're way better off to get a 'restored' or original one for a really good deal, and then sell yours for more money than it's worth to close the gap. I realize being across the pond makes it difficult though. The car should be saved somehow.