Author Topic: Dougs vs Hooker??  (Read 3694 times)

Offline dgilleland

Dougs vs Hooker??
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:10:29 PM »
Everybody likes Dougs headers

My 79 TA currently has Hooker Super Comps and I am currently replacing my 6X heads with Kauffman 73cc.
Dougs headers requires that I remove my locking stearing where hooker does not.  Dougs look a little beefer on the manifold connectionns but are not a tuned header which I don't know if it makes a difference on a 6000 rpm motor.  I have never had any problems with leaks but I originally went with painted headers and want to upgrade to ceramic.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dougs vs Hooker??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
sounds like you want to stick with the hookers....just send them to jet hot and have them coated
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
Re: Dougs vs Hooker??
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
My Doug's headers don't say anything about removing the locking steering in my '80 and they are the same part number as your car would require.  The locking part of your steering is inside the steering column and would have no effect on the fit of the headers.  I would go with Doug's over Hooker anyday.  They are a little more pricey but WELL worth the extra $$$.  They also fit much better and aren't such a fight to get in the car.  I've had problems with Hooker headers in my truck since day one, the collector flanges bend easily when you tighten them and tend to leak more, where as the Doug's headers have the flanges welded in and are 3/8" thick compared to approx. 1/8".  If you want pics I have several to show the quality.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350