Author Topic: Advice for debugging bumpers anyone????  (Read 5591 times)

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
Advice for debugging bumpers anyone????
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
Does anyone have any tips or magic potions for getting the crud (mostly bugs) off of the front bumper of my 77?  I've tried hot water/soap, bug n tar remover (sparingly),  a careful hand with a "scrubby" sponge thingy and lots of elbow grease and cussing.....nothing seems to make a big difference.  Thought someone here might have some pointers for me or some words of caution as to what NOT to try!  This is not a restored/repainted car, 36 year old paint, but it looks pretty darn good.  Thanks.
"All good things are wild and free." - THOREAU

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
Re: Advice for debugging bumpers anyone????
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »
43 people have nothing to say to this?   ;)

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
This is a tough one. My every day driver is only 3 years old and I cuss every time I have to clean the front bumper. Not sure how much time you're spending on it, but you're doing all the right stuff. I use GUNK Tar and Bug Remover but you have to soak the bugs and let it set up to soften them before rubbing them off. It's always been safe for my paint. The hot water is good to soften them as well. I drove my car about 45 miles home after a fresh repaint and I knew I was going to get bug debris on the way back....sure enough, the front spoiler was covered. If I had driven at night, it would have been a lot worse. These were fresh so they came right off though. Good luck!

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
I never use any chemicals like bug and tar remover. Best thing for me is to use baking soda and water. It will not scratch the paint and neutralizes the acid in the bug guts. I keep my T/A waxed really good, that way all I ever have to use to get bugs off mine is quick detailer and they come right off. Since it is original paint, damage is probably already done and you will not get a lot of the stains out without polishing and buffing, but you have to be really careful when doing that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:43:38 AM by winks79 »

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
X2 on the baking soda method!  Or you could use good ole carbonated water on it!  Make sure it isn't soda water tho bcuz that has sugar in it!  ;)

Offline rhino33

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
I got this cloth called the KD Cloth at a car show from a vendor, all u have to do is rinse it out good in water and after a few rubs the bugs are gone. no soap or solution just water, its totally amazing on a windshield too
http://www.kdcloth.com/

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »
well, Huntress, at least you got some responses on this now. Sounds like the baking soda and water might do the trick.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
The KD cloth looks interesting, although baking soda is a lot cheaper :) . Maybe use the baking soda and water with a micro fiber polishing cloth.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:04:59 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 12:47:21 AM »
Hey, thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't respond sooner...now I'm the guilty party.   ;)  I actually forgot that I posted this after I'd checked for a few days and had no response.  I really appreciate all the suggestions and will have to try them all....bumpers still a mess.   :( 

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
I got this cloth called the KD Cloth at a car show from a vendor, all u have to do is rinse it out good in water and after a few rubs the bugs are gone. no soap or solution just water, its totally amazing on a windshield too
http://www.kdcloth.com/

Sounds intriguing...will check into it.  Thanks!!

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:56:55 AM »
The KD cloth looks interesting, although baking soda is a lot cheaper :) . Maybe use the baking soda and water with a micro fiber polishing cloth.
True!  I'm trying the cheap fix first, but the magic cloth might be in my future if all else fails.  Thanks for the suggestion...appreciated!   :)

Offline Chuckles

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
WD-40.

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:12:03 AM »
X2 on the baking soda method!  Or you could use good ole carbonated water on it!  Make sure it isn't soda water tho bcuz that has sugar in it!  ;)
Ha!  Soda is evil...trying to kick that habit, so I only have carbonated lemon water around now!  Now you've got me thinking....wonder if toothpaste might work or if it's too abrasive.  Thanks for the reply.   :)

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:27 AM »
WD-40.
THAT sounds like a good suggestion...why didn't I think of that?  On the list.  Thanks!!

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
I never use any chemicals like bug and tar remover. Best thing for me is to use baking soda and water. It will not scratch the paint and neutralizes the acid in the bug guts. I keep my T/A waxed really good, that way all I ever have to use to get bugs off mine is quick detailer and they come right off. Since it is original paint, damage is probably already done and you will not get a lot of the stains out without polishing and buffing, but you have to be really careful when doing that.
I hear ya on the chemicals.  Especially on that "plastic"...I worry about softening it and making bigger problems than I already have.  I'm not so sure that some of what I'm seeing IS already permanent anyway.  I may just have to live with it until I decide to take the plunge and repaint one day.  One day.  Thanks for your input!